ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753768 Members
5517 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ProLiant Gen10 Plus CPU Swap Troubleshooting.

RERobbins
Visitor

ProLiant Gen10 Plus CPU Swap Troubleshooting.

I picked up a ProLiant Gen10 Plus with the Intel Pentium G5420 with a view to swapping that CPU for an Intel XEON E-2246G. This was one of the configurations discussed here https://www.servethehome.com/hpe-proliant-microserver-gen10-plus-ultimate-customization-guide/2/

I removed the Pentium and replaced it with the XEON, cleaned the thermal paste residue from the heat sink and applied Arctic Silver 5 to the 2246G. When I attempt to power on the system the system health and network light show green but the system will not boot.

After a little bit the fan kicks on high and thatтАЩs about it. IтАЩm at a loss for how to troubleshoot this.

If I pull the XEON and replace it with the Pentium I get the very same result тАФ the system health and network lights are solid green, the system will not boot and after a bit the fan kicks on high.

3 REPLIES 3
DeepakJajware
HPE Pro

Re: ProLiant Gen10 Plus CPU Swap Troubleshooting.

Hello Robbins 

Thank you for contacting HPE Community Support Forum. 

The question below needs high level technical investigation and hence I request you to please contact HPE Support Center for logging a case on this. 

As mixing of processors are conceren , in General HPE do not advice mixing of two differnet CPU's in one system unless we have authorized document for it which in your case is missing . The document you shared below is not an HPE Autorized document . If a mixing is possible I am sure HPE Remote Center Team will help you with the proper steps and documents around it. 

I can howevr help you with the Micro Server Gen10 Plus Product guide for a detailed overview of this product and installation procedure of the same. Here is the link  https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/getdocument.aspx?docname=a00073554enw 

Page 6 of the guide says the following 

Intel┬о Xeon┬о E Processor is designed to deliver the best combination of performance, built-in capabilities, and cost-effectiveness. This product also supports Intel┬о Pentium┬о processors.

Choose one of the following processors based on the model. 

Hence you can choose only one and might not be able to mix the two CPUs. 

Do conatct the support team for more help on this 

Thank you 

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

RERobbins
Visitor

Thank you for your reply.

I am not trying to mix two different CPUs in one system.  I am merely trying to remove one compatible CPU and replace it with another.  I followed the procedure described in that document.  

DeepakJajware
HPE Pro

Thank you for the swift response . 

As per this if the removal and re-installtion of new CPU is not working then I belive it can be a HW fault as well. Could be with System board or Processor itself. 

Hence I request you to log a call with HPE Support team and get the HW replaced for it . 

Thank you 

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo