ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1755416 Members
3388 Online
108832 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant ML350 G4 Overheating - no heatsink issue! Plse help.

Thomas Vandenberghe

Proliant ML350 G4 Overheating - no heatsink issue! Plse help.

Hi all,

Our ML350 G4 with Windows Server 2003, shuts itself down regularly because of overheating
(Integrated Management Log viewer = System Overheating, Zone 2, Location CPU, Temperature 81C)
WhenI check out the current temperature with the insight diagnostics, the CPU is at 76C. The treshold is 80C.

I have read that I should replace the heatsink with a new one. I did that (ordered the serial listed in these forums), but that didn't help. The blower is at the correct side, and the casing is closed. There is nothing that can prevent the airflow. I've also cleaned the casing from dust. All bays are filled with disks or dummy covers.
I have also tried mounting the heatsink with extra Zalman thermal paste. But no improvement

What else can I do?

Some specs :

Manufacturer HP
Product Name ProLiant ML350 G4p
Processor Package 1 (Socket 1, Core = 1) Intel Xeon Processor @ 3.20 Ghz
Operating system environment Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Server 2003 for Small Business Server, Service Pack 2 (Build 3790)

Serial Number GBJ62102D9
BIOS Version D19
BIOS Release Date 02/15/2006

8 REPLIES 8
predrag81
Valued Contributor

Re: Proliant ML350 G4 Overheating - no heatsink issue! Plse help.

Friend,

try to replace CPU, maybe this will solve your problems.

KR,
Predrag
Thomas Vandenberghe

Too expensive :-)
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

well

too expensive?? is your server out of warranty?

since you already replaced heatsink, try also updating system ROM it's too old you version and seeing that also update Proliant support pack (PSP)

system ROM
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=397642&prodNameId=3279707&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-509f8cf261ec41ef82f5cc02b0

PSP
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=397642&prodNameId=3279707&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-09b2f920d5c34f6a85f096fd6b

and just in case check if heatshink it's installed OK

-> The fan should be on the Media bay side of the processor not the memory side. - Remove and reinstall the processor heartsink assembly so that the fan is on the Media bay side of the processor (180 degree turn)

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Thomas Vandenberghe

Hi,

I've update all components to the latest version :
- BIOS
- firmware
- support pack

I am a 100% sure that the heatsink is mounted properly (fan is NOT at memory side).

Temperature still at 75C (ambient temp = 20C,
CPU load = 0%).

Don't know what else to do !

KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

i think could be power backplane or CPU

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Steve Pound

Hi

This outlines my scenario exactly. Do you ever resolve?
Thomas_VDB
Advisor

Hi,

I checked and my Proliant was still under waranty. I called HP support, and they came with a replacement motherboard and processor. Turned out that a faulty motherboard was the reason. After replacing the mobo, no more problems...
Steve Pound

Thanks Thomas - I think I have a couple of months warranty left too. I'll call HP tomorrow. Cheers.