1754297 Members
3004 Online
108813 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant ML350 G4

M.Voerman

Proliant ML350 G4

Hi all,

For several weeks i have a problem with a new server (bought in december). First of all I thought that there's a problem with the network but after some research i noticed that the server local write speed is very slow.

When i'm copying files with the total size of 4,33 GB it takes more then 10 minutes to copy (7 MB/S) to the same disk. I also test the read speed and the read speed is more dan 500 MB/S (no problem). The disks are in RAID 5

First I updated the drivers, firmware and installed the ProLiant Support Pack 7.7 but nothing changed.

I contacted HP with my problem and they replaced the systemboard, smart-array controller, hard disks and SCSI cable. This takes more then 4 weeks.

Afther this I installed a clean windows server 2003 R2 installation, with only the newest drivers installed but disk speed was still slow. I also tested this with disks in raid 0

Now i'm waiting for the next step from HP. In the meantime I want to ask of someone else got the same problem and maybe there's someone with the solution for this problem.

I've read more slow disk access in this forum but never saw a solution.

In advance thank you for your help.

Best wishes,

Menno

4 REPLIES 4
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Re: Proliant ML350 G4

What is the purpose of this "test" ?

If you copy many small files, specially within the same disk, it is no wonder that you get a low MegaBytes/second value - the disk drives will spend a lot of time with seeks between meta-data, data, meta-data and free space.
M.Voerman

Well my company works with 3d drawings (solidworks). The drawings are on the server. For example 4,33 GB are 2095 files.

I also tested the network speed between the server and workstation with a tool witch doesn't use the disks. The speed was perfect (80 MB/s).

But when I copy data from the workstation to the server the speed is around 6 MB/S.

I also test the disk speed with some diskspeed tests (performancetest V6.1 and SiSofware Sandra) on the server and the read speed is fine but the write speed is very slow (7MB/S)

So I think it's must be a hardware problem on the server but what do you think?

Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

> For example 4,33 GB are 2095 files.

So the average file size is only 2 MegaBytes.

> I also test the disk speed with some diskspeed tests ... (7MB/S)

Again, it matters what I/O pattern are used. You cannot get large MegaBytes/second if you have small I/Os.

Another thing: does the SmartArray controller have a battery-backed write-back cache (BBWC)? Is write-back caching enabled on the logical disks?
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi,

As Uwe suggests, check your Smart Array controller to see if it has the array accelerator enabled (Battery-Backed Write back cache). If it doesn't then you should purchase the correct option for whatever Smart Array controller you have installed.

Some ML350G4 models come with PCI based Smart Array 641 controller but it won't necessarily have the write-back cache option installed. Use the Array Configuration Utility (ACU) to see what cache you have. If it only shows 64Mb then this is READ-ONLY cache - default on the board. Another way to check is to try and change the cache settings in ACU. If it's only read cache then it will show 100% READ and you can't change it to any other setting.

This could well be your problem but please report back with the model of Smart Array controller and your findings with ACU.

Regards,

Brian