1755755 Members
4998 Online
108838 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

PSP 7.92 and RHEL 5 update 1 fails to install QLogic drvs

Rabie Van der Merwe
Occasional Advisor

PSP 7.92 and RHEL 5 update 1 fails to install QLogic drvs

When installing PSP 7.92 on RHEL 5 update 1 the hp_qla2x00src-8.01.07.16-2.rhel5.rpm.tar.gz package failes to install. When installing it manually it complains that it will only install on RHEL 5. Changing /etc/redhat-release and removing the '.1' from 5.1 allows it to be installed. Seems to be working fine, so I assume this is a typo on the RPM's pre-install scripts part.
7 REPLIES 7
Michael Garner_1
Honored Contributor

Re: PSP 7.92 and RHEL 5 update 1 fails to install QLogic drvs

Rabie,
You are correct. This problem has been fixed in the next version of the hp-qla2x00src RPM which will be out sometime in the first quarter of 2008.

Red Hat changed the numbering scheme for their updates starting with RHEL 5 Update 1 which became RHEL 5.1 in the /etc/redhat-release file. The numbering scheme came after we had signed off on the 7.91 version. We were able to fix all the problems this caused except with the hp_qla2x00src RPM.

Sorry you had to deal with the problem.

Michael Garner
HP Linux PSP Developer
Rabie Van der Merwe
Occasional Advisor

No worries, at least you guys write proper RPM's :) Not like the Data Protector guys, all their RPM's have the same version numbers.

If have a coffee break don't you want to go teach them about RPM versioning :)

On a serious note I don't suppose you will be supporting CentOS in any of your up coming releases? It's a bit of a pain to change the /etc/redhat-release file every time I want to install the PSP in my dev environment.
Leszek Matok

Can you post some quick fix or a beta version? I have some ProLiants with RHEL 5 and the current situation with QLogic HBA drivers is frustrating (and your drivers are a simpler solution than talking to RH support about problems with the drivers they supply).

BTW: the proper way to detect RHEL version is "rpm -q redhat-release" (the version is "5Server-5.1.0.2" ATM). /etc/redhat-release is just a file, which can be present on Debian or whatever. Besides, instead of using pre-install scripts, you should simply Require: redhat-release (greater or equal) 5Server or something like that.
Rabie Van der Merwe
Occasional Advisor

See my posting about making the change in the /etc/redhat-release file, once the driver has been installed you can change it back to 5.1.

I prefer the /etc/redhat-relase file as that way I can install PSP's on my CentOS testing servers :)

I believe from some other posting I saw on the forum the next version of the PSP has been delayed, so no idea when it will be due.

R
Leszek Matok

I don't need or want to use PSP, but the driver rpm itself, which should be available separately, somewhere. Am I right?
Leszek Matok

I don't need or want to use PSP, but the driver rpm itself, which should be available separately, somewhere. Am I right?

Oh, and to be compatible with CentOS, simply make the package require kernel version instead of distro release.
Rabie Van der Merwe
Occasional Advisor

I would love for them to do that :)

But to answer your question yes the error was in their hp_qla2x00src package, you could just untar that and try intstalling via RPM once you have done the said fix. Donno if it has any requirements. I normally install the following before I do the psp's:

yum install glibc gawk sed pciutils rpm rpm-build rpm-devel gcc cpp binutils glibc-devel kernel-headers glib net-snmp compat-gcc-32.i386 compat-gcc-32-c++.i386

And then for 32bit:
yum install compat-db.i386 compat-libstdc++-296.i386 compat-libstdc++-33.i386

and for 64bit:
yum install compat-db.x86_64 compat-libstdc++-296.i386 compat-libstdc++-33.i386 compat-libstdc++-33.x86_64

R