New Discussion

RAID 1 and 5 simultaneously

SOLVED
Go to solution
Abdulah
Occasional Contributor

RAID 1 and 5 simultaneously

Hi,

I'm fairly new to datacenter infrastructure and I have aquestion about RAID. I have a requirement for a server that will have 5 x 300GB drives. 2 will be setup with RAID 1 and the remaining 3 for RAID 5.

OCA auto-selected 749974-B21 (HP Smart Array P440ar/2GB FBWC 12Gb 2-ports Int FIO SAS Controller). Do I need another controller?

Thanks.

1 REPLY 1
parnassus
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: RAID 1 and 5 simultaneously

AFAIK one HPE Smart Array P440ar is more than capable to manage multiple RAID Volumes - depending on number of available disks it directly manages - with different levels of redundancy (RAID 1 versus RAID 5 or RAID 6, as example); in your case should be very easy to setup what you need through the HPE SSA (HPE Smart Storage Administrator): configuring two different Volumes, one 2 disks RAID 1 and the other 3 disks RAID 5.

Just two cents more: start with an updated HPE Smart Array P440ar Firmware, so update ASAP its Firmware (actually it is 6.06 of 25/09/2017) if it's not already up-to-date and then perform your RAID Volume(s) configurations accessing HPE SSA tool during boot (so offline, not pre-installed OS needed -> once OS is then installed you can download and install HPE SSA Online tool to manage from OS your HPE Smart Array controller).

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner