ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1751911 Members
4728 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Raid 1 array dead

Davide Gardoni

Raid 1 array dead

In our Proliant server the Hostraid-8130 (FW 3.4-1 1255) is connected to 2 SATA Maxtor 160GB HDD. #1 is OK (verification from Adaptec BIOS utility is OK), #2 gives "verification failed".
Array state is not degraded, it is Dead, but first disk is OK. Also changing the bad drive (#2) it is not possibile to rebuild the array because of the Dead Condition. Obviusly OS does not start. How to restore the array? Thanks Davide
7 REPLIES 7
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hi, haven't actually seen these hostraids before.. Is that in a ML150 G2??

When you look in the array config what is the status of the replaced disk? Is that "verification failed"?

Have you tried to assign the disk as a hot spare to the array? Maybe that can do the trick?
Davide Gardoni

Hi, thanks. Yes,it is in a ML150 G2

Array is marked as dead, but both old disk #1 and new disk pass the verification test.
I assign the new disk also as spare, but with no result. Disks are marked as "healty", but the array is dead.
Today I ghost the good drive for backup and now I am trying to delete the array and recreate it using as source the disk 1. I will post the result.
Thank you very much.
Davide
Jonathan Sanders

I am having almost the exact same problem. But it appears that both my disks are okay. I can verify no problems. Both disks are recongized and seem to be working. However, the Array State is "Dead" and there are no options to optimize it or anything. Furthermore, if I remove either of the disks, and try to boot, the array state remains dead.

Have you been able to resolve this issue?

Thank-you
Jonathan.
Davide Gardoni

Now is OK.

1. Destroy the array specifying no data deleting.
2. Replace the faulty drive
3. Build the array specifying that the source is the old disk
4. rebuild the array

Thanks, Davide
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

Did you try the latest firmware?
Mauricio Salas
Frequent Advisor

You have raid 1 or raid 0? if the actual config is a raid 0 there is nothing we can do, just buy a new HHD and start again, if you have a raid 1, remove the fail HDD and try to boot, usually that helps
Jonathan Sanders

Thank-you Davide,

Your instructions were perfect and very helpful.

I first cloned one of the HDs as an extra precaution because I was worried that as soon as I delete the Array and recreate the array it would format the HDs.

I deleted the Dead Array. Then created a new array with the two HDs. It asked me which one do I want to copy from, so I selected one of them (They were both working so in my case it didn't matter). It copied over all the data and then everything works.

It is RAID 1 (Mirrored).

Thank-you
Jonathan.