1753290 Members
5296 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

RAID 5 configuration on HP Proliant DL380 Gen10

sundayose

RAID 5 configuration on HP Proliant DL380 Gen10

Dear team,

I have new HP Server HP Proliant DL380 Gen10 with 6 hard drives of 300GB each. I have been trying to configure RAID 5 so that I can combine my disks into one logical drive. 

My server has intelligent provisioning with HP Smart Array P408i-a SR.

I have gone through the correct steps of configuring RAID but at the point of selecting the drives to create a logical drive I get a warning message " One or more selected drives are connected to mixed mode ports, and directly exposed to the OS. These drives will become unavailable to the OS after this operation."

When I proceed and ignore this message my logical drive is successfully created . However, on installing Windows Server 2019 Standard the logical drive is seen under drives but has no volumes and can not be accessed or used for data storage. Only the partition where windows is installed is accessible.

I noticed it's possible to configure port modes to HBA or RAID but my Intelligent Provisioning has no such option.

Please advise.

Thanks 

1 REPLY 1
KK
HPE Pro

Re: RAID 5 configuration on HP Proliant DL380 Gen10

Hi,

When the message "One or more selected drives are connected to mixed mode ports, and directly exposed to the OS. These drives will become unavailable to the OS after this operation." is seen, please accept it and proceed further for OS installation.

Getting the message is expected as the Smart Array Controller works in mixed mode. Please refer https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-a00019059en_us.

During installation, it should show all the disks. Before proceeding the installation, delete all the partitions seen there. Select the desired unallocated space for the installation.

If there are still issues, please share the screenshot of the issue or raise a support case with HPE.

Regards,

KK

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo