ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1761423 Members
2880 Online
108902 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Read/Write speed on Dl160 G5 (soft raid 1)

SOLVED
Go to solution
dbmv
Advisor

Read/Write speed on Dl160 G5 (soft raid 1)

So, both drives are syncing up on CentOS 5 software raid 1 setup (sata2, 2 drives), and it displays min speed :

6788K/s

Is that horribly slow? It's been about 9 hours it's syncing up... is there anything I need to do to make the drives go faster? If so, how do I do that? I read something about going into BIOS and switching to ACHL, but I'm not too sure how to do that

6 REPLIES 6
dbmv
Advisor

Actually, this is what I've now done :

Went into BIOS > Advanced > IDE Settings

Changed IDE into Sata primary (enhanced) and then chose RAID (its either IDE or Raid)

Saved the configuration and rebooted... and now it does not find any sata drives (Seagate 7200.11 drives)

Any ideas?
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor
Solution

hi

if you are using the Embedded SATA controller try enabling cache

Navigate to "Manage Arrays" and select the array you want in the "List of Arrays" Don't press "Enter" this will just show you a summary of your configuration. Instead do the following:
- Press (Ctrl + W) "Enable Write Cache" (Option)
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
dbmv
Advisor

Hi,

I actually have the LSI Logic card (model # unknown.. it's the default card in the DL160's)

It's also the hot plug model. When I hit F8 to get into the setup, it says no drives are detected, and then goes back to the previous BIOS/boot version
dbmv
Advisor

Also, if I go back to my initial settings, and press F8 to invoke the SAS configuration utility (LSI Logic), it just hangs after POST...
dbmv
Advisor

Anyone....? It's a severe problem for these servers that have to go into production asap :(
takahiro_1

DL160 is junk. I've been searching around for a solution too. First of all the LSI raid is junk. New smartstart cd doesn't work. tells you to get an older version. Once you get the older version it just hangs or leaves you at the command prompt. I've seen the smartstart work on newer model and its supposed to guide you through an install which it clearly doesn't.

Using the embedded sata(no raid), I only get avg 15MB/s