1755140 Members
2926 Online
108830 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SE326M1 with Non-HP-SAS-Controller

HaikoH
Occasional Contributor

SE326M1 with Non-HP-SAS-Controller

Hey Folks, maybe this is the better forum...

I've got a older SE326M1 (HP DL180 G6 with 25 SFF HDD Slots) and want to use it as a kind of storage server, esp. for Hyper-V and stuff. Therefor, I've got a Adaptec 5805 SAS/SATA-Controller (with RAID-Options). I want to use it with the internal SAS Backplane and replace the default P410 Controller. The Adaptec controller itself is recognized, but it does not show a single hard drive, allthought there are several through all the available SAS-Inserts. I've connected the SAS Backplane via the original mini-SAS-cables (SFF-8087) that were connected to the P410. The Adaptec Controller should support more than just a few HDDs:

"Supports 8 direct-attached or up to 256 SATA or SAS disk drives using SAS expanders"

Even if it would only support 8 disks - it does not show a single one.

The adaptec controller has 2 SFF-8087 ports.

Does the HP SAS-Backplane work as a regular SAS-Expander (it is only connected by 2 mini-SAS-ports) or is it kind of specials and just works with HP controllers??

Just a few words, why I want to exchange the P410: This controller can not disable RAID. I want to reach all HDDs by OS and use Microsofts Storage Pool technology to mix SSDs, SAS and SATA disks. The P410 can not even mix SATA and SAS in one array.

Thanks in advance!

Haiko

3 REPLIES 3
HaikoH
Occasional Contributor

Re: SE326M1 with Non-HP-SAS-Controller

At least, I'm a few steps further now: As stated here, HP is aware of this kind of error:

http://h20564.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c02907358&sp4ts.oid=3884339

And there is an upgrade. I've downloaded 9.30 of Firmware-DVD and all newer ones - they don't upgrade the SAS Expander / Backplane (DL18x25SFF, I have Version 2.04).

So, I've downloaded the single Updates, all 3 available Versions (2.10, 2.18, 2.20) and tried to Upgrade using those SCEXE-Files - It comes up with:

Preparing to flash devixes on the array controller...

Requesting flash - this could take up to 15 minutes...

Flash complete.

The SEP flash operation failed:

So, what am I doing wrong??

HaikoH
Occasional Contributor

Oh, see my attachment in the post above please... Thanks

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@HaikoH wrote:

Just a few words, why I want to exchange the P410: This controller can not disable RAID. I want to reach all HDDs by OS and use Microsofts Storage Pool technology to mix SSDs, SAS and SATA disks. The P410 can not even mix SATA and SAS in one array.

I gave a quick glance to the Adpatec users guid for this controller, I didn't see where it supports pass through mode.  It also says to not mix SATA and SAS in the same array. Why not keep using the P410 and create several 1 disk arrays to present to MS storage pool?

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!