2351 Online
109083 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Server crash OS when enabeling MPIO and adding the storage vendors

KennyStas86x
Frequent Visitor

Server crash OS when enabeling MPIO and adding the storage vendors

Hi all,

I'm posting this in the hopes somebody is familiar with this issue.

We have a Proliant DL380 G9 with the latest SPP pack installed (2022_0822.4) via OS and via ISO boot.
The OS is a Windows Server Datacenter 2019 with the latest windows updates

2 storage systems (3PAR 8200 and IBM FlashSystem 5200) are connected via a a Brocade 6505 with Fabric OS v7.4.1e switch.

When we enable MPIO in the OS it discovers the 3PAR and the IBM. When then adding these the MPIO service crashes, when the OS is then rebooted and the machine reboots it does not get past it's windows boot screen animation and stays there for ages (days) 

But, when i disable the PCI-E card "HP SN1000Q 16Gb 2P FC HBA" the OS is able to boot again, when i then remove the MPIO feature the OS boots fine again with the PCI-E card enabled.

I dont have any options i think to access the storages as they used to be setup like this with Server Datacenter 2016 OS (Core) and the issue started a few days later, and even with some reboots in between. that the OS started acting up and resulting in a OS boot "freeze". 

Now 5days of HPE & Microsoft cases and several host reimages later, we notice it to crash as soon as MPIO is installed & configured.

Does this ring any bells to anyone? 

Regards,

Kenny

3 REPLIES 3
BPSingh
HPE Pro

Greetings!

By crash do you mean a windows bugcheck? If so, do you see kernel dumps generated under c:/windows/minidump folder?
Could you verify whether the firmware and driver versions of the HP SN1000Q 16Gb 2P FC HBA align with the approved versions specified in the 3PAR 8200 and IBM FlashSystem 5200 matrix?
Also verify the boot order in the BIOS.

I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
KennyStas86x
Frequent Visitor

Hi  BPSingh,

By OS crash i mean the MPIO service crashes, and on a OS reboot, the OS does not boot anymore into windows. No error messages anywhere.

Anyway, the OS boots as long as we dont map the 3PAR storage together with the IBM storage to the servers. Since our 3PAR volumes where corrupted we disconnected our 3PAR paths to the server and moved everything from backup to our IBM storage and no issues what so ever this far.

We're currently back up and running and i've closed all cases at MS & HPE since we found the root cause ourselves. But figured i might share this info as to us this was a very, very fringe case.

Greetings,

Kenny

BPSingh
HPE Pro

Thank you for the update.

I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo