1755581 Members
3765 Online
108836 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Server Hangs At Logon Screen.

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Server Hangs At Logon Screen.

Although our scenario is not exactly the same, the info posted here helped us trouble-shoot a server hang problem we were experiencing. We have a Compaq ML530, with Windows 2000 Server and MS SQL 2000 Server loaded. We are using MS SQL 2000 Data Transformation Services, and the server would hang almost daily when we ran DTS to load our SQL db....with no error messages. And the only thing we could do was a cold start. After trying to track it down on the SQL application side, I found this forum. After reading this article, our server tech updated the BIOS and several drivers on the Compaq and no more hangs! Everything is running like a charm. After a month of trying to trouble-shoot it on the application side, it was really a server issue. Just FYI!
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I am running into the issue... I have a ML530 with 640Mb RAM, Smart Array 3200 w/ Rev 4.44A, RAID 5 configuration, and dual NC3123... Nothing out of the ordinary... The server hangs for no apparent reason... I did notice in the event viewer that the array controller had a couple of instance of time outs... Also when the server locked up, I was still capable of using the mouse but nothing that required access to the drive array... If you looked at the array controller, there were three lights that were lit solid green... I believe it the array controller that is giving me all these headaches... I was told by compaq to upgrade the SD, BIOS and several drivers... Anybody has any other suggestions...
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I was wondering if there was any resolution to this matter. I also have an ML530, that seemed to be working fine, until SP6 was installed on it. Now, every 2 weeks, the server crashes, at the logon screen, all I get is an arrow and all the lights on my hard drives are out. The only way to get anything to happen to turn off the machine - the wrong way(!), then after it boots up, I have to shut down again to eliminate error messages. No errors show up on the log until after the reboot.