1755354 Members
4864 Online
108831 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SLES15 SP4 HP MR Logical Drive numbering in reverse

sdrake48
Regular Advisor

SLES15 SP4 HP MR Logical Drive numbering in reverse

HP Gen11 UEFI boot mode with MR408i-o RAID Controller. 3 Logical drives. HP numbers these 239, 238,236 or something similar. The 1st logical drive created always has highest number. Autoyast contains partitioning for 3 logical drives, but installer always assigns logical drive with lowest number to /dev/sda. If allowed to proceed, all logical drives are configured incorrectly. A trick that makes this work is to create the 3 logical drives in reverse order (create the 3rd logical drive first). How does SLES installer make array тЖТ device name assignment? Is there any way I can influence this with autoyast for consistent installation on many 3 logical drive machines? 

How can the Logical Drive Numbering be changed such that it is done like the SR controllers: 1,2,3 in order of creation?

6 REPLIES 6
ksram
HPE Pro

Hi @sdrake48,

Good day!

This may need more information and Troubleshooting would request to log Case with HPE.

Thank you
RamKS

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

sdrake48
Regular Advisor

Case # 5373830660 has been open for weeks on this issue.  Not getting any support.

ksram
HPE Pro

Hi @sdrake48,

Good day!

We understand your concern.

We did check the Case and see that the Engineering Team has been engaged on this.

We kindly request some additional time to address this matter. Please be assured that we are working closely on it, and the L2 Engineer will promptly share any updates received from the Engineering Team or L3 Team.

Thank you for your understanding and patience in this process

Thank you
RamKS

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

sdrake48
Regular Advisor

Still no action.  HP wanted to archive case....said next Broadcom firmware release would address this.  Next firmware update for MR controllers changed nothing.  Reopened the case and there has been no action.

TwoBuck40
Regular Visitor

Did this ever get resolved?

it really created some havoc with automated linux builds...

SDint
Visitor

I really want this resolved as it causes chaos. Let's say you delete 2nd drive and recreate it - then it gets listed first in order of raid volumes as /dev/sda which is opposite of that should've happened. HPE / BROADCOM - PLEASE FIX IT.