ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1755700 Members
3584 Online
108837 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SMART 2DH, swap one drive in an array?

Gregg Eshelman
Frequent Advisor

SMART 2DH, swap one drive in an array?

How nasty of a job is it to swap one drive in a five drive array connected to a SMART-2DH controller?

I finally got a ProLiant 1600 up and running by pulling the controller, connecting the array to the onboard SCSI, then running the System Erase utility.

THEN I was able to use the System Config Utility to setup the EISA utility partition and install stuff to it.

Right now it's installing 2000 Pro to an IDE drive. (And it had better be recognizing both CPUs, unlike XP Pro@!)

Unfortunately the 5th drive is producing a low volume but horribly high-pitched noise that's giving me a headache.

I have five more drives, one of which is an IBM of almost, but not quite the exact same model as the five in the array.

Those other five are from my dead 1600, while I had things apart, I used System Erase to nuke the other array.

I'm hoping I can swap _one_ drive after I install the drivers and utils from the Support Pack and rebuild the RAID5 array? I hope it's still RAID5, with the box refusing to boot a SmartStart CD, I never had any opportunity to change or confirm the RAID type.
2 REPLIES 2
Gregg Eshelman
Frequent Advisor

No problem at all. With the computer running, I hot-swapped the drive and in about 15~20 minutes the array was rebuilt.
Gregg Eshelman
Frequent Advisor

NM