2005 Online
108868 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SNMP OIDs not available

Michael Curtis
Occasional Advisor

SNMP OIDs not available

Hi,

The issue we are facing is that the HP Servers (DL380 and DL320) do not seem to have the OID values present for some of the sensors, most importantly, the sensors for gauging the Temperature readings and fan speeds.

OIDS that we need to monitor are listed here:

Fan Speed - I feel fan speed is a better indication of a problem than temp. The fans will get fast, but the temperature will stay the same.

PSU Failure, running off one psu rather than 2

Network Failure, dual attach as fallen over and is running off one port.

When browsing the OID values on the servers, many values are returned but it seems that some of the critical ones (as mentioned above) are not available.

Is there a configuration change required to enable OIDs to be read or is it a case that this particular hardware does not support these OID values.

Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Best wishes

Michael
5 REPLIES 5
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Re: SNMP OIDs not available

Are you using the complete ProLiant Support Pack and HP SIM?
Michael Curtis
Occasional Advisor

Hi David,

I have installed the complete Proliant Support pack. I am trying to use Argent as my monitoring software. I can see the mibs and searching the web I can see that these OID are available. I can see temperature values for different areas of the server, but can't find the values for the ones I really want like fan speed.

SNMP seems a bit of a black art with lots of resources that seem to point to the availability of these values, but the server doesn't seem to have all the ones I find in my research.

Thank you for your help. Really appreciate it.

Best wishes

Michael
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

You're going to find that a ProLiant server is a pretty sophisticated device and an old-style SNMP monitoring/probing system probably won't be able to cope. Most of these things will surface as traps rather than OIDs that can be probed.

A DL380G3 has different thermal sensors than a DL380G4 and a DL380G5, and it is different than other models as well. The MIB comprehends all the models, such as a ML310 that might have only 2 sensors and a DL760 that may have 19.

For your PSU example, if you're probing, your software would have to know that the last time it found 2 power supplies and now it found one, therefore something's wrong. I doubt that logic is built into your software.
Michael Curtis
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the reply. I suppose what I really want to find out is out all the things I can see the MIBs which ones work with my DL380g4.

Do you know where I can find this out? Would I be better off using SIM to monitor the broken raids, psu, fan speeds etc.

I was hoping to use just one product.

Best wishes

Michael
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

The short answer is yes, you'd be better off with HP SIM, at least a lot less heartache. Secondarily, if you were able to select one of the platforms we specifically publish integration for, such as OpenView NNM, OpenView Operations, Tivoli, MOM or CA. Otherwise, there are other platforms that specifically support the HP management agents such as BMC Patrol, NetCool or something like that...