3770 Online
108827 Solutions
New Discussion

Storage configuration question

ksukat2
Occasional Contributor

Storage configuration question

Greetings,

Have a brand new ML350 Proliant.  Hard drives are SAS and capacity are (1) 600GB (3) 300GB.

This is going to be a small database server.  Vendor has mandated that the sql server database should be on raid 5 storage.

Can I configure the raid on the ML350 to have 1 drive (600GB) not be in the raid and install the OS, etc on it.  Then create a raid 5 array on the (3) 300 GB drives for the database?  Or should I return the 600GB drive and try and get (2) more 300GB drives ?

I didn't spec the unit so I am working with what I got.

thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Storage configuration question

The single disk makes not so much sense. Once failed, the server is down. Better configure a 2x300GB RAID1 for OS and a 3x300GB RAID5 for data. Try to get 2 300GB disks for the 600GB disk or another 600GB disk.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
ksukat2
Occasional Contributor

Re: Storage configuration question

OK.

I got another 600GB drive.  Installed the drives (2) 600 GB and (3) 300 GB in the system.

Powered on the system and F10 to get intelligent provision to launch smart storage application.

Created Array A with the (2) 600 GB drives in RAID 1, with 1 logical drive.

Created Array B with the (3) 300 GB drives in RAID 5 with 1 logical drive.

Ran intelligent provision to configure the system and install the OS (Windows 2012 R2 Standard 64bit).

Intelligent provision updated the firmware for the devices, then installed the OS.  It did not give me a choice  of drives, and since the usable space on the two logical drives are pretty close, I can't tell which array the OS is installed on.

How can I tell which logical drive (ie, which array) the OS was installed on ?

thanks.