3958 Online
108827 Solutions
New Discussion

Updating AssetTag in Instrumented BIOS

Conski
Occasional Collector

Updating AssetTag in Instrumented BIOS

Hi All,

In order to try to change the AssetTag in a Proliant Server I've entered in Powershell:

$a=Get-WmiObject -Class “HP_SMBIOS_ProcessorInformation” –Namespace“root\HP\InstrumentedBIOS”

$a.AssetTag ="123456"

$a.Put()

It's returned the following error:

Exception calling "Put" with "0" argument(s): "Not supported "

At line:3 char:1

+ $a.Put()

+ ~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [], MethodInvocationException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : DotNetMethodException

Does this mean that the AssetTag property is not editable?

Thanks in advance!

3 REPLIES 3
Cederberg
Honored Contributor

Re: Updating AssetTag in Instrumented BIOS

Hi!

I don't know if its that same Asset tag that you are speaking of, but HP has release a HP scripting toolkit for windows powershell that contains a CMDLet thats called set-hpiloassettag that has the description sets or clears the asset tag. There is also get-hpiloassettag to see the current value.

http://www.hp.com/go/powershell

Conski
Occasional Collector

Many thanks Cederberg!

Haven't resolved this yet, but your advise has moved me closer and provided some pretty useful powershell commands to boot.

Now after installing the HP PS commands, I enter the following:

Set-HPiLOAssetTag-Serverlocalhost-Username ******* -Password "**********"-AssetTag '301176'

This seems to execute ok, but then when I try to retrive the value with

Get-HPiLOAssetTag-Server LocalHost-Username *******-Password '**********'

I get the following:
S C:\Windows\system32> Get-HPiLOAssetTag -Server LocalHost -Username HPSIM -Password 'g)8c(bo5w&O)&&)1@'

PS C:\Windows\system32> Get-HPiLOAssetTag -Server LocalHost -Username ****** -Password '********'

IP                               HOSTNAME                STATUS_TYPE            STATUS_MESSAGE                 

--                                --------                          -----------                      --------------                 

::1 127.0.0.1            LocalHost                    ERROR                        No information available

Conski
Occasional Collector

Just an update on the above, I think I've found what the issue is with the above, I believe that what is prevention my write to the AssetTag are the ILo permissons on the device in question, apparently VirtualMedia, ResetServer and RemoteCons privileges are required - and these are set at boot on the device.