1755692 Members
3307 Online
108837 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

UPS R6000 - Multi-Server UPS Card/Power Manager 3.1

sputnix
Frequent Advisor

UPS R6000 - Multi-Server UPS Card/Power Manager 3.1

I have installed a R6000 UPS with two Compaq Multi-Server UPS Cards and will manage up to 6 Servers ML350 G2 with the software Power Manager 3.1. OS is W2003 Server Edition. Each Server should be his own managment server.

I connected the first Multi-Server UPS card to the first UPS port, the second to port 2 and all servers via serial cable to the ports on the 2 Multi-Server UPS Cards.

I tried to install Power Manger 3.1. on one Server --> Installation was succesfull, but during the configuration the UPS was not found.

Direct attached it worked (Server - UPS Port 1, without Multi-Server UPS Card, tried it on both).

Sombody any idea?
5 REPLIES 5
sputnix
Frequent Advisor

Re: UPS R6000 - Multi-Server UPS Card/Power Manager 3.1

More details I find out:

I need a software called "UPS Load Segment Configurator" for this Multi Server UPS Cards!

Only 5 servers can managed over this cards, because of the 5 Load Segments in the UPS (why six ports on two cards????).

Does anybody knows anything about this Software?

!!!!!! I need a W2k3 support !!!!!!

andreas
Bill Place_1
Frequent Advisor

You might want to try HP Power Manager 3.1. It should work for what our are doing. You can down load it at www.hp.com/products/UPS

Must Do's:

1. Set the baud rate of the R6000 to 9600 baud. This can be done through the front pannel of the UPS. This a required step so HP rack and Power Manager can talk to the UPS.

2. You will need to install a seperate copy of HP Rack and Power Manager on each of the computers. The idea is that one server does not know about the other. Each Server thinks he has his own UPS.

One other thing, you will need to configure the serial ports of the multiserver card to load segments on the UPS. Keep in mind that the R6000 has 5 load segments and you have 6 ports. I'm not quite sure how this works but you may only be able to configure 5 ports. However there may be a way to configure two serial ports to a single load segment.

sputnix
Frequent Advisor

Thx for your answer.

At this time there is no Rack and Power Manager available for Windows 2003 Server. May be it will come in April this year.

I will have to configure the power segments and connect each server to one virtuell UPS, I think thats my problem.

andreas
Bill Place_1
Frequent Advisor

There are two UPS Power Management products that support windows 2003. HP Rack and Power Manager 1.1 and HP Power Manager 3.1 support windows 2003. Both can be down loaded from www.hp.com/products/ups.

Keep in mind that HP Power Manager 3.1 is the best software for your configuration.
sputnix
Frequent Advisor

Thanks!