New Discussion юеВ

Using Network configuration utility with Windows Server Core

SOLVED
Go to solution
DominikR
Advisor

Using Network configuration utility with Windows Server Core

Hi,

I would like to use the Network Configuration Utility (for instance to enable Jumbo frames or create VLANs) under Windows Server 2008 R2 Core.

The GUI seems not be able to run under core. How can this task be achived.

Regards,
Dominik
4 REPLIES 4
WFHC-WI
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Using Network configuration utility with Windows Server Core

Hi Dominik,

You may be able to achieve these changes with the NETSH command. If not, you can attempt to use HP's command line tool CQNICCMD. Check page 8 of this guide:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00582404/c00582404.pdf

good luck
DominikR
Advisor

Hi,

If I understand you right, to use the CQNICCMD utility I need another server with similar if not identical hardware and the full version of Windows Server 2008 R2. There I do all the intended changes and save them as script and redo them with the help of CQNICCMD on the server with Windows Core?

If I don't have such a similar server, I have to do that by manually encoding the XML script if even possible.

Regards,
Dominik
WFHC-WI
Honored Contributor

Using a similar server is one method, but the XML file isn't too hard to write manually. Check page 16 of that same PDF for details. Keep in mind that all of the XML property tags aren't necessary, just the ones you wish to change.

good luck with it, come back with any additional questions and we appreciate points if the answers helped! :)
DominikR
Advisor

WFH-WI provided the right solution. Thank you!