1755755 Members
4473 Online
108838 Solutions
New Discussion

VLAN

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

VLAN

Statements: EtherExpress(TM) PRO/100 Intelligent Server LAN Adapter Error in Event Viewer
->
->SearchStrings: event id 516
->
->Additional Comments: I have a Compaq Proliant 6400R running NT4.0, service pack 5 with two Intel PRO/100 Intelligent Server Adapters (Part #687231-005, one in slot 2 and the other in slot 4. The one in slot 4 I have created 4 VLAN's on. The one in slot two works great but the one in slot 4 doesn't. I have check the patch cables, the ports, the slots, the cards and everything works until I add the VLAN's to the card. When the computer starts up I get this error in the event viewer: Component: Compaq NIC Management Agent Error: Unable to read "IVLANMINIPORT3" from the registry. Cause: This error can be caused by a corrupt registry or a low memory condition. Rebooting the server may correct this error.
Any suggestions as to what I need to do to correct the problem

Jill Litchfield
Network Administrator

The following is what I got from Intel.
Jill:

You will need to contact Compaq*. It is the Compaq management software that is returning this error. They will be the ones who know how to handle it. Also, there is a registry value that needs to be modified from the default install if you are going to use VLANs with Windows* 2000. I have included a link below.

http://support.intel.com/support/network/adapter/pro100/pro100i/30599.htm

Regards,

================================
Joe M.
MCSE, CCNA
Internet Support Engineer
Networking Products
Intel? Customer Support
http://support.intel.com
support@mailbox.intel.com
1 REPLY 1
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: VLAN

Can't be sure about this as we don't really support non-Compaq cards regularly... But this sounds a LOT like a similar issue with our cards. Try the simple fix we normally use:

Go into Control Panel, Compaq Management Agents and remove the "NIC Information" agent from the loaded list. Close Compaq Management Agents and go back in. Add that agent back to the loaded list and close all the way out. Restart the server and see if that resolves the registry issue.