ProLiant Servers - Netservers
1753831 Members
9550 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

A RAID 5 Disk array became an unreachable GPT Partition in a fresh Win2003 Server installation

Eyad Al Akhras

A RAID 5 Disk array became an unreachable GPT Partition in a fresh Win2003 Server installation

Hi Guys,

On a 370 G4 Proliant, I used 2 of my 6 SCSII hard disks to create a RAID 1+0, and the other 4 as RAID 5, then installed windows 2003 server on the first couple, and put all my data on the RAID 5, and everything went OK.

But, for sure, i couldn't live happly ever after! i wouldn't be writing this, you see!

A software catastrophic senario corrupted the OS and forced me to re-install windows all over again. Having made sure that the data on the RAID 5 was functioning and intact.

I booted from HP CD, and didn't touch the RAID configurations, just went to software installation and choosed to install windows 2003 over the same RAID 1+0 volume, using the same windows 2003 CD I own.

When installation finished, I found out that the new OS can't assign a driver letter to the RAID 5 disk, and eventually I can't reach its' data.

Windows Disk Management labeled the RAID 5 disk as: (GPT Protective Partition), yet identified its correct overall capacity.

Why did windows see it as a GPT and couldn't touch it? Although I followed the same process installing windows the first and second time from the same original CDs.

please advice, and thanks alot in advance.

Eyad.
2 REPLIES 2
CA1248225
Advisor

Re: A RAID 5 Disk array became an unreachable GPT Partition in a fresh Win2003 Server installation

I believe GPT partitions require Windows 2003 SP1. Have you installed this service pack since the rebuild yet?
Eyad Al Akhras

Re: A RAID 5 Disk array became an unreachable GPT Partition in a fresh Win2003 Server installation

Thank you Joshua, SP1 did solve the problem. I'm very very gratefull for your reply.