1758337 Members
2049 Online
108868 Solutions
New Discussion

CDRom Boot Capability problem

Keven Tipping_2

CDRom Boot Capability problem

Greetings to all.

I am currently trying to get a old LS Netserver up and running.

After about a week of work, I replaced the Pentium processors on the Dual card (with the same processor) because the CPU in Slot 1, CPU 1 was aparently failing (works just fine now?).

however, a while ago, my SCSI Bios stopped booting properly. I dunno if it is something I have done, as I have since cleared the CMOS and etc.

It used to report my Bootable CDRom, and then say that my CDRom is now Drive A and Drive A is now Drive B.

However, it does so no longer. It reports the CDRom (there is never a floppy in the drive when I try this), and then after the Mylex BIOS (the REAL Mylex 2.73 bios, not the HPDA) beeps, it does nothing.

It also freezes the system if I put a CDRom in and also boot from Floppy (it still reports the Bootable CD). If I take out the bootable CD, and boot from floppy, all is okay..

It used to boot from the Win98 CD just fine (before I relised Win98 doesn't load on a Dual processor system with RAID), but nothing else then that, then the entire booting thing just stopped booting the CD (no accsess light or anything after the Mylex BIOS).

It is the origenal Grey CDRom drive (HP?), and installation off the CDRom AFTER it has been booted from floppy (ie Win2K Installation) works just fine.

I have another LS machine for parts should anything fail. Any ideas?

I'm getting tired of waiting for the floppy drive. 6 disks to boot NT is too much.

Or was CD Booting back then just a little buggy or something?

And also- can I possibly update the SCSI Bios, or is this tied in with the system bios?