108863 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Drives - DL380 Gen10

SOLVED
Go to solution
JoshK1
Occasional Visitor

Drives - DL380 Gen10

I have an HP Server I am supporting that is a ProLiant DL380 Gen10.

I need to expand the storage array. The drives are labeled 872737. I assume these are just the model number for the drive caddys and I can use any drive of matching specs/ 1.2TB, 10k SAS drives

Does model number or manufacturer matter when expanding this array. I mostly want to make sure that this there aren't going to be any hiccups if I utilize dell drives or different HP drives as long as they are 1.2TB 10k SAS.

3 REPLIES 3
shiva_jr
HPE Pro

Re: Drives - DL380 Gen10

Hi @JoshK1 ,
     Yes, Drive upgradation depends on various factors such as backplane, Array controller, drive model,  Please refer the quickspecs, validate the support matrix of the components, later you can procure the drives and other components if required.
    If any queries, please post complete detail of your server components and configuratons such as array controller.
Regards,
Shiva_JR

I work for HPE
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

TVVJ
HPE Pro
Solution

Hello,

In addition to the above, you also need to know that in a RAID array, all hard drives need to be of the same type. All drives in a RAID array can either be SAS drives or SATA drives, or SSDs, but not mix them.

Even among same type drives, it is recommended to have the same speed and same capacity on all drives. If any drive drive functions at a lower speed, then the RAID array's speed is reduced to the lowest drive's speed. Also, of any drive has a lower capacity, the capacity of each drives is reduced to the lowest capacity drive.

Furthermore, HPE products have been designed and tested to work with HPE products and designated options. There is a possibility that third party products may not function optimally in HPE products as the management of those parts may not communicate completely with HPE products.

Regards,

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo

LouisH
Valued Contributor

I am  expanding what others have indicated here for adding disks into existing Raid set.

If you look on the carrier, you should see three peices of information: Rotation speed (15K), "disk-type' SAS 300GB, and a 6 digit number. This number is referred as a "spares" number within HPE. Yor can contact HPE Parts or Support and provide that Spares number purchase disks that will work in your server. You may only be able to purchase larger cap. drives but HPE can cross that number to newer drives to work.  You can use larger capacity drives but you will loose the excess above the existing cap. drives. Ex: existing 300GB drives and you want to add 2 more drives but they are 450GB, the additional space (150GB) would be un reachable unless you created a second LUN for those two drives or replace all existing drives with the larger ones.

Always, always, always do a Backup prior to  adding disks to an array. Some operations can be done online but others should be done with server off-line to users.

Regards,

Louis