1754021 Members
7684 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

I/O Device Error

D-e
Occasional Contributor

I/O Device Error

We have an HP Proliant DL 380 with 4 SCSI disk as RAID 5 on Smart Slot Array 6i. One on the disks has failed and when we have replaced it, it could not rebuid, we have check the log and found that another disk on the array has "I/O device error". We have tried to copy our database from this logical drive to another one but it does not allow us to do so. can anyone help. Furthermore, everyone works on the database fine.
3 REPLIES 3
Kedd Guyton
Respected Contributor

Re: I/O Device Error

Schedule maintenance time as quickly as possible. Get the users out of the database, and take a backup. The array is operating without redundancy, and to make matters worse at least one of the physical disks that are remaining are failing. In the SMH (System Management Homepage) examine each physical disk for ANY errors, and make note of these. Delete the array, replace the faulty physical disks, and recreate the array. Check the SMH for physical disk errors again, and replace any disks reporting ANY errors. Allow the array to rebuild/resync. Check for errors again. If all is well, restore the data. Watch the error counts on each physical disk daily for at least a week.
D-e
Occasional Contributor

Unfortunately we are unable to backup. Each time it stop at I/O device error.
Kedd Guyton
Respected Contributor

The only other suggestion I have would be to update the Smart Array 6i firmware, reboot to allow the firmware update to take place, and HOPE that the new firmware can sort out the issue. Then attempt to replace the physical disk that failed to rebuild in the beginning--not the physical disk that is reporting IO errors.

Oh, yes. There is an HP utility named the Array Diagnostic Utility. I've never used it. You may want to take a look at that.

Good luck!