5984 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Microserver Gen 8

LutzHa
Occasional Contributor

Microserver Gen 8

Hello!

I have 2 Microservers Gen 8. Both are the same Product ID and updatet with SPP 2016.10. In Ilo System Information - Device Inventory the integrated Networkadapter 332i is shown as HP Ethernet 1Gb 2-port 332i Adapter #2. Both are running Server 2012R2. All other Microservers Gen 8 we have have the same patchlevel but they are showing the 332i correct HP Ethernet 1Gb 2-port 332i Adapter.

What could be wrong?

Lutz

1 REPLY 1
DeusMaximus
Regular Visitor

Re: Microserver Gen 8

....okay, so if I'm reading this correctly, two of your Microservers have an adapter called

HP Ethernet 1Gb 2-port 332i Adapter #2

...and on the other Microservers, it's listed as

HP Ethernet 1Gb 2-port 332i Adapter

That's your problem?

When you update network drivers in Windows, sometimes it doesn't unload the old driver completely before installing the new driver, and therefore Windows gets confused and thinks there are two adapters called the same thing, thereby labelling the second adapter with a #2 at the end of the name for convenience. The end result is sometimes you wind up with a #2 at the end of the adapter name, despite only having the one adapter.

This is entirely a cosmetic bug, and it's been around since Windows Vista or possibly even earlier. I don't remember when I've first seen it, it's that bloody common.

Ignore it. Your network adapter will still work fine.

------------------------------------------------
Microserver Gen8 G1610T, DL320e Gen8