108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Need to get Proliant Microserver Gen8 into SafeMode

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jojo Almario
Occasional Contributor

Need to get Proliant Microserver Gen8 into SafeMode

I have a Proliant Microserver Gen8 running Windows Server 2012 R2.  Our Anti-malware installed an update that causes the server to not boot correctly.  In other Proliant Servers (DL380 Gen8 and 9, DL360 Gen8 and 9) I was able to get into safe mode (all through iLO) because the recovery utilites presented the option to restart in safe mode, however the Microserver does not present the same choices despite it having the same operating system.

I also have a DL160 Gen9 that had the same issue but I was able to spam F8 once the HPE screen with the green rectangle came up.  I have instruced the on site tech to do the same with this Microsoerver but he  is un able to get it in Safe Mode.

Is there any official way to get into safe mode or to an effective mode where I can uninstall the Anti-malware software?

1 REPLY 1
Jojo Almario
Occasional Contributor
Solution

Re: Need to get Proliant Microserver Gen8 into SafeMode

OK, I was able to do this eventually through the similar method I used on the Proliant DL160 Gen8.  After the initial  BIOS screen, there will of course be the HP Proliant screen that goes through the HP SMart Array config  (F5) and the iLO 4 advanced config (F8).  On the bottom are the choices F9 system Utilities F10 Intelligent Provisioning and F12 (or is it 11..I forgot already) for Network boot.  The second it leaves this screen start spamming F8.  It will enter the next screen with the choices stacked up, F9 RBSU, F10 Intelligent Provisioning...and so on.  Keep spamming F8.  It may continue onto "Attempting to boot to CD-Rom depending on your boot options.  Keep spamming F8.  It will eventually get to the Safe Mode choice screen.

Here are some things that can help:

- If you keep trying and fail to get to Safe Mode, try pulling the power once Windows starts to load.  I know this is not recommended, but I think it helped it into getting into Safe mode the next reboot.