1752822 Members
4456 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant Microserver N36L (Gen6) BIOS Fan shutdown

Andypips
Frequent Visitor

Proliant Microserver N36L (Gen6) BIOS Fan shutdown

I purchased this some time ago, had it running and then moth-balled it. I ran it again a year or so ago changing the server software to Linux, then moth-balled again. I just powered it up and I am getting the BIOS POST test failing the fan and shutting down in 15-20 seconds. I have carried out the following:

1. Tried F10 key to get into BIOS (to turn off fan test). Checked keyboard Key F10 actually works.

2. Took off the case to check fan(s) on power-up. Both main fan and PSU fan are running ok.

3. Traced and unplugged fan connector on main board. Cleaned connector (sockets) and mainboard pins, reconnected.

I am confident the N36L will work if I can bypass the Fan test in POST. Is there another way to get into the BIOS? Any other solutions?

Thanks, Andy.

10 REPLIES 10
Croweb
Frequent Advisor

Re: Proliant Microserver N36L (Gen6) BIOS Fan shutdown

You can try to clear CMOS.

Take look on the attached image, to see the jumper location.

Clear CMOS jumper (J19):

Position 1-2: Normal

Position 2-3: clear CMOS

Regards,cmos.JPG

We own our Data Center...and that makes all the difference!
Sham82
HPE Pro

Hi, 

please let us know If you tried to Clear CMOS using the Junper setting .

and If the issue is resolved now .

Thank you

HPE Employee

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Andypips
Frequent Visitor

Hi. I'm ok with messing with mother boards. However in this case - is there a specific procedure, i.e.??

1. Set CMOS Jumper to pos 2-3

2. Cycle power

3. Set CMOS Jumper back to pos 1-2

Please confirm or otherwise...

(is the CMOS storing the failure and stopping the F10??)

I'll do this but not convinced as never have changed the BIOS. This still does not answer why F10 during POST does not get me to BIOS Setup page. 

Thanks for your help so far.

Regards

Andy

Andypips
Frequent Visitor

Hi.

Doing a BIOS reset did not solve the problem. Nothing changed. During POST it says processor and cache ok and checking USB controllers. After that:

Fan is Missing! Shutting down in 15 seconds, then countdown, then off. Health light shows RED. Can be reset by removing power cord and starting again.

At no time during thiis 'POST' period will the unit respoond to keyboard F10.

I have no idea what the problem is. Can you give any further advice?

At the moment this an 8TB piece of junk. Annoying as it has Optical drive, Wireless card/Antenna and back-door LAN.

Regards

Andy

Andy

Sham82
HPE Pro

Hi, 

For Fan Missing or Fan Failure.

If system fan is not installed or failed, system will announce this message and system will gracefully shutdown.

We Would request you to please try :
> Re-seat the Fan , Cables properly.

> Replace Fan and Check .

Thank you

HPE Employee

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Sham82
HPE Pro

Hi @Andypips ,

I hope my solution has helped you to resolve the query, if not kindly let me know If you have any further issues.

HPE Employee

I work for HPE.

Accept or Kudo

Andypips
Frequent Visitor

Hi Shaminder.

Basically no - not resolved. If you read back to the start of the thread I already checked fan(s) - both working, cabling, connector and pins on the m/board. The latter two items were cleaned thoroughly too. The cables have never been moved. Technically there is not really a fan issue. The main problem is I can't get into the BIOS to stop the fan POST check. Pressing F10 through POST does not bring up the BIOS screen. I have checked that the F10 key on my keyboard does work. Until this is solved the server remains as junk, all 8Tb of it! Do you have any other suggestions? If not and beyond that, is there a service centre or technical distributor that can help me? I am in East Berkshire, postcode RG12. 

Thanks 

Andy 

SB6
HPE Pro

Hello @Andypips 

N36L is oldest generation of MicroServer series, as CMOS clear has not helped with report issue and reseating of cables and cleaning of components, it possible NVRAM issue, error seen on POST is self test error for which no other possible manual interventions other than what has tried already.

You may engage our support using below support options and they might be able to advise possible nearby HPE service partners.

https://www.hpe.com/uk/en/contact-hpe.html

Regards,

SB6!

I am an HPE Employee!

I am a HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

Andypips
Frequent Visitor

Hi @SB6 !

Thank you for your response. Can you tell me clearly and specifically what you mean by NVRAM (I know this is non-volatile RAM) in the context of the motherboard in this particular Proliant Microserver? Can I check this somehow before finally consulting with HPE support? Whgich part of HPE Support do I contact for help beyond this forum? Irronically I live in the same town as the HPE Sales Office, but don't know if they have a Service Centre here. Please help me get to a point where I can get this server repaired and in use again.

Regards

Andy