1752800 Members
5583 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Smart Array setup

CA1476586
Occasional Contributor

Smart Array setup

I've got an DL350 G5, 5 Hard drives with an embedded Smart Array E200 controller.

I would like to create a RAID 5 for 4 of my hard drivers and the last hard drive for spare, just in case if one of the hard drive fail.

This is the 1st time ever to create a RAID for a server and I couldn't find anything that tell me how to setup.

I always heard from people saying that it's easy to setup an smart array.

Please if possible, list the things I would need to do to create a RAID 5 array. Should I setup the array 1st, or should I install the OS 1st? Do I have to update the BIOS before the setup?

Thanks for any reply.
5 REPLIES 5
Chris Rosan
Valued Contributor

Re: Smart Array setup

Use the smartstart CD that came with your server, or download the iso of the latest version from the support page for your server.

You need to setup the array before installing the OS.

You can also download the "firmware update CD" from the support site, but as your server is brand new, it should be up to date. You can just download any "new" firmware from the support site.
CA1476586
Occasional Contributor

what are the steps to setup the array from the CD?
so when I boot up the server for the first time, should I boot from the CDs?
Is there any links that teach you how to setup RAID 5 from the HP smartstart CD?
Chris Rosan
Valued Contributor

Smartstart is VERY easy to do. You simply click on the drives and setup your array. You can also setup on-line spare's.

What O/S are you using? You boot this CD, and if you are using Windows, you should install the OS through the "assisted installation" section. This will install all the HP drivers, add-ons, System management homepage etc.

If it's Linux or similar, just use smartstart to setup the array and proceed with the OS install as per normal.

Smartstart has help build into it, and is very simple to use.
CA1476586
Occasional Contributor

My server is now up and running, I have to say that this is the most easiest things to do.

Thanks.
Chris Rosan
Valued Contributor

wii,

Glad i could help. Please assign points to my reply so i can build them up :-)