6396 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

ARP Poisoning Attack

Thierry1
Visitor

ARP Poisoning Attack

Hello all,

As you know, ARP poisoning attack is the process of linking an attacker’s MAC address with the IP address of a legitimate user on a local area network using fake ARP messages. As a result, data sent to the host IP address is instead transmitted to the attacker.

I need to protect a network with ARP poisoning attacks. All the servers are using fixed IP adresses (so no DHCP).

Do you have some experience and how you proceed to protect your network ?

A easy solution is to implement static ARP entries but i"m looking for an another solution if you have.

Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3
Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

Re: ARP Poisoning Attack

Really, if you are in a situation where devices on a broadcast segment are untrusted, you should segregate them using port isolation.

Thierry1
Visitor

It''s not really untursted devices, but we are in a PCI context and we need to run vulnerability scans. ARP poisoning is part of the scan and we need to protect our environnement against this attack.

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Not sure if informations about Dynamic ARP Protection feature apply entirely - I mean: now, years after the linked article - also to actual Aruba 2920 but this article would be interesting enough to start with (and so...looking for a similar feature on Aruba 2920 could be the very first thing to do): on HPE ArubaOS-Switch Access Security Guide for WB.16.03 there is a clear reference [*] about Dynamic ARP Protection (page 384), part of "Configuring Advanced Threat Protection" Chapter 17 (among others, also DHCP Snooping, Dynamic IP Lockdown and Instrumentation Monitor, are discussed topics).

[*] I'm quite sure I saw the same feature described in earlier WB.15.18 documentation too.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner