Server Clustering
1770729 Members
2147 Online
108999 Solutions
New Discussion

Query on adding a new DL380 Gen10+ Server to a Windows storage spaces direct cluster

Noushadkarutha
Established Member

Query on adding a new DL380 Gen10+ Server to a Windows storage spaces direct cluster

i want to add new DL380 Gen10+ Server to a Windows storage spaces direct cluster. currently there are 3 x DL380 Gen10 servers in the cluster. In this case, can we add new node to cluster online ? here new node will have 8x 900GB HDD disks along with boot disk, so here should i still need to configure Raid array for data disks from SSA before installing windows server OS ? as per Microsoft document, we can select redundancy parameters like PhysicalDiskRedundancy when we create a new volume, in that case, is it still needed to create disk array at server level using SSA ?

3 REPLIES 3
TVVJ
HPE Pro

Re: Query on adding a new DL380 Gen10+ Server to a Windows storage spaces direct cluster

Hello,

You can create RAID arrays from the same type of hard drives. For example, one array could consists of SAS drives and another can consists of all SATA hard drives. You cannot create array mixing hard drive types such as mix of SAS and SATA togethere.

Regards,

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo

Noushadkarutha
Established Member

Re: Query on adding a new DL380 Gen10+ Server to a Windows storage spaces direct cluster

@TVVJ Thank you for the response!

i read in some document that, for windows S2D failover clustering, we don't need to create raid array for data disks from SSA and the storage controller should be in HBA mode and only need to create raid array R1 in SSA for OS disks. can you please confirm on this ? can you also briefly let me know what are the pre-requisities i should complete before adding new disks/new node to the S2D failover cluster.

Vinky_99
Esteemed Contributor

@Noushadkarutha 

Good day!

Adding a new node to a Windows Storage Spaces Direct (S2D) cluster can be done online, and you can configure the disks on the new node without creating a RAID array through the Smart Storage Administrator (SSA) before installing the Windows Server OS. Here are some steps and considerations:

>> For your new DL380 Gen10+ Server with 8x 900GB HDD disks, you don't need to create a RAID array using SSA for the data disks. S2D works by aggregating individual disks into a storage pool, and then it creates virtual disks with resiliency settings like Mirror or Parity at the software level.

>> As you mentioned, it's recommended to set the storage controller in HBA mode (sometimes called JBOD mode) for S2D configurations. In HBA mode, the controller allows direct access to the disks without performing any RAID operations.

>> You should create a RAID 1 (mirror) array for the OS disks using SSA, just as you mentioned. This is because S2D requires the OS disk to be presented as a traditional storage volume with redundancy.

>> Ensure that your new node has the necessary network adapters and connectivity to join the S2D cluster. S2D relies heavily on network communication, so network configuration is crucial.
Windows Server Installation:

Install Windows Server on the new node, and ensure that it's running the same version (and ideally the same update level) as the existing nodes in the S2D cluster.

>> Join the new node to the cluster. You can use PowerShell or the Failover Cluster Manager to do this. Make sure that all cluster nodes have consistent configurations and settings.

>> After adding the new node to the cluster, you can expand your existing storage pool to include the disks from the new node.
Create new virtual disks with the desired redundancy settings (Mirror or Parity) using the existing and newly added disks.

>> Once you have virtual disks, you can create volumes on top of them, specifying parameters like PhysicalDiskRedundancy as needed for your data protection requirements.

>> Test the new configuration to ensure everything is working as expected. Use tools like Failover Cluster Manager and PowerShell cmdlets to verify cluster health and S2D status.

>> Ensure you have a backup and recovery plan in place for your cluster. S2D configurations are designed for high availability, but data breakage prevention is still critical.

Always refer to the latest Microsoft documentation and best practices for Windows Server and Storage Spaces Direct for any updates or changes.

I hope this helps! Let me know...

These are my opinions so use it at your own risk.