New Discussion юеВ

Deploy firmware via Firmware maintence cd run from a host to all servers

SOLVED
Go to solution
SOH B G
Occasional Contributor

Deploy firmware via Firmware maintence cd run from a host to all servers

Hi Guys,

I just dont know why despite following through the instruction by keying in the iLO username and password of individual server, I can only flash the iLO. My understanding is that I am able to flash items like array controller NIc firmware etc. Hope some kind soul can help me.
3 REPLIES 3
Michael Garner_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Deploy firmware via Firmware maintence cd run from a host to all servers

If you type in the iLO IP address, you'll only be able to update the iLO on a server. If you need to update the server, you'll need to supply one of the NIC IP addresses.
SOH B G
Occasional Contributor

I have 2 separate situations to handle:

- I have a ML/DL server without any OS installed. I can check its IP assigned through dhcp server. However, how do I log in the user name and password?

- I have a enclosure with many blades. My blades has no OS installed. Can the flashing be done? I will need to connect the ethernet switch to DHCP server right? waht is the password I should use?
Michael Garner_1
Honored Contributor

I would recommend using the Smart Update Firmware DVD v9.00 and deploying it through the iLO Virtual Media feature for those servers without an OS. The DVD ISO is available at: ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib2/software1/cd/p1040529012/v56950/firmware-9.00-0.zip

Information on how to deploy it in various scenarios is available through the Firmware Best practices Implementer's Guide. While the primary audience is blade customers, the same type of deployments can be done for non-blade servers with the above DVD. The Implementer's Guide can be downloaded from the HP website at: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02049593/c02049593.pdf?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

There will be a new guide out in a month or two that will be updated to reflect non-blade servers as well. Look at the various deployment scenarios to determine the one that works best for you. The new DVD will work in FDT mode if you just put it in the server and boot to it, either through PXE, ILO virtual media or DVD drive. It will work in Firmware CD mode if you choose the interactive installation method within 30 seconds when prompted at boot and it will work in Online Bundle mode (even for ML/DL servers except ML 1xx and DL 1xx server models) by placing the DVD (or using the ISO image) in a server with an OS installed. Using these modes, you should be able to map to the modes shown in the Firmware Best Practices Implementer's Guide.

Regards,
Michael