1752775 Members
5786 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Disable NIC via RILOE

El Barto

Disable NIC via RILOE

Hello everyone,

I need to know if I should be able to enable/disable a server network card by using an ILO card and RILOE, at first in text mode or else in graphic mode if there is no choice.

But I need to shut down my server's NIC when I'm connected on ILO card because I can't go and physically unplug the cable on NIC.

This possibility would be very usefull for my server managment. Thank you for your help.

My best regards.
J├йr├йmy
5 REPLIES 5
El Barto

Hi,

in fact I'm going to use a RILOE card but I have some ILOs to.

Thank you for your answers.
acartes
Honored Contributor

>> can I disable a host NIC using iLO/RILOE?

Yes. assuming Windows, open the Control Panel, Networking, and then right-click on the network selection and choose Disable. Choose Enable to restore.

For Linux, the commands are something like (rusty here) - correct me if I am wrong:
inetcfg eth0 down
and
inetcfg eth0 up
to restore.
acartes
Honored Contributor

... more:

You refer to text or graphic mode, so this is not clear to me...

You will be using the remote console capability of the iLO/RILOE processor to perform the operation. The methods I described are more or less native to the OSs. However, these do not disable the interfaces before the OS loads.
El Barto

Hello acartes,

Thank you very much for your answer.

Maybe Have I not been clear about this problem (sorry, but my english isn't perfect) .

RILOE 2 has a DOS mode for management that should be usefull when your network connection is not enough to spend/recieve graphic mode. So I need to disable the network card when I am using this DOS mode... or else, if it is not possible, I will have to do this in graphic mode - what's not a problem without taking care about lost time!
acartes
Honored Contributor

Thanks for the clarification. iLO also supports a text-based interface throught the command-line protocol (CLP). You can access this using SSH or a serial connection where supported.

From the CLP, you have access to the virtual serial port which can allow you to use a text interface to the operating system. For Windows, this would be the Emergency Management Services (EMS) console (the SAC prompt), and for Linux, this would be a tty.

SSH -> iLO -> VSP -> OS serial console