1753485 Members
4478 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: iLO 2 access/HPSIM integration

Jon_151
Regular Advisor

iLO 2 access/HPSIM integration

I am new to using the iLO/iLO 2 features and have a few questions.

1.Is it possible to shut off the http on the iLO 2 and ONLY use HPSIM for accessing the iLO?

The documentation said the OS must be running to do this (quoted below).
"iLO 2 fully integrates with HP SIM in key operating environments. Full integration with Systems Insight Manager also provides a single management console for launching a standard Web browser to access. While the operating system is running, you can establish a connection to iLO 2 using HP SIM."

If the OS must be running then I do not want to do that.

2. I would like to here from anyone that has purchased the advanced licensing. How does this compare to PC Anywhere and using Terminal services for remote management?

Any comments are greatly appreciated!
2 REPLIES 2
Raghuarch
Honored Contributor

HP Systems Insight Manager Single Sign-On (SSO) is a licensed feature that allows you to browse directly from HP SIM to your lights-out processor, bypassing an intermediate login step. In order to use SSO, a current version of HP SIM is required, and your lights-out processor must be configured to accept the links from HP SIM. The HP SIM SSO page allows you to view and configure the current iLO 2 Single Sign-On settings. You must have the right to configure iLO 2 to alter the settings.

Login to iLO and go to
HP Systems Insight Manager Single Sign-On Settings Tab under "Security " Click on Help.

If the OS must be running then I do not want to do that.
I don't think you need OS on the server to do SSO from HSPIM.

acartes
Honored Contributor

>> Is it possible to shut off the http on the iLO 2 and ONLY use HPSIM for accessing the iLO?

Not entirely. But if you use HP SIM SSO, you can then delete or change iLO user accounts to block access using other means.

>> If the OS must be running then I do not want to do that.

This is confusing. I think it only applies to HP SIM.

>> I would like to here from anyone that has purchased the advanced licensing. How does this compare to PC Anywhere and using Terminal services for remote management?

There are pros and cons. iLO is out of band, so those alternatives do not need to be installed on the server to work. iLO will also give you access from server power-on through the OS.

The "in band" tools can have performance that exceeds iLO, but may be useless if the OS is having trouble or if they are not configured.

iLO can be configured to use a separate management network or to share a host port if it is supported. iLO can also enable Terminal Services passthrough to the management network.