108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Ilo and Ilo2 virtual media throughput

gcwn
Occasional Advisor

Re: Ilo and Ilo2 virtual media throughput

I'm sorry I don't get it.
I use ilo, web virtual media option.
Are you suggesting having iso image on USB and then connecting via ilo virtual media usb drive option?
acartes
Honored Contributor

Sorry, do not have max performance numbers at this time.
If the question becomes, "how do I get the best performance from virtual media", the approach can vary.

The document, "Planning and configuration recommendations for Integrated Lights-Out processors" available at the iLO manuals page at this link:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManualтМй=en&cc=us&docIndexId=179111&taskId=101&prodTypeId=18964&prodSeriesId=397989

has helpful information. The section titled, "Creating a central repository for use with iLO's virtual media feature" has details.

Essentially:
- the network proximity and latency of the virtual media image source -> target has a dramatic impact on performance. Basically, the more hops and delay, the lower performance.

- have the virtual media image (.iso) served from a web server close to the iLO processor. (This does not imply close to the workstation). The web server can be Apache or IIS or another. Authentication and encryption are options.

- Use iLO scripting capability (either command-line or RIBCL/XML) to have iLO mount the virtual media on the host. This causes the iLO processor to fetch the data and takes your workstation out of the loop.

- If iLO is "close" to the virtual media server, the performance will be greatest.

- Stated differently, use iLO remotely to mount virtual media served locally (or at least proximally).
gcwn
Occasional Advisor

it sounds way to complicated for my enterprise env, iis server at each site??
scripts and all, time consuming, need simple and reliable solution.
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

Rapid deployment pack (RDP) is the HP way in the enterprise enviroments. RDP is good, if You have the opportinity to use it.

attaching usb dvd-drive directly to blade will speed things up (not so enterprise).

Virtual media is slow where ever it is, and there is a too small timeout value for disconnections.
Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)

You can find me from Twitter @JKytsi
gcwn
Occasional Advisor

I just downloaded RDP, I want to give it a try, not sure how complex it is to set up, will it worth evaluating, limitations, etc..
any good practice suggestions well appreciated
acartes
Honored Contributor

>>it sounds way to complicated for my enterprise env, iis server at each site??
scripts and all, time consuming, need simple and reliable solution.

Consider it more for a case where a London-based remote is operated from Kansas. Serving the image from Kansas is not optimal, where if it is served from the London network...

The approach works well with dispersed organizations- you have to make the call.
gcwn
Occasional Advisor

In that scenario wouldn't you need IIS server at London site to host all images?
that's where the complexity is, robust design to accomodate requirements for both sites
PatO_2

I've the same problem as eag1e59 with the firmware 1.35 and 1.42.

Please fix it !!!
Nikolai Schupbach

We also have the same problem. We have a c7000 - the ILO2 virtual media via the OA network is unusable. The maximum speed we can get is about 200-300KB/sec.

Even if we directly attach a notebook via cross over ethernet cable to the OA the speed is no different.

ILO2 is running 1.43.

Can someone please confirm if this is normal? What speeds are other people getting?
rick jones
Honored Contributor

Packet traces, especially ones which include the connection establishment, are almost always useful in these sorts of situations.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows