Server Management - Remote Server Management
1752664 Members
5747 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

iLO DNS and Password on new motherboard

Brent Newland

iLO DNS and Password on new motherboard

I'm a computer repair professional, and I recently got a work order from one of the companies HP contracts to do warranty work to repair a DL360 G4. HP ended up shipping a new motherboard to the location, and I installed it. However, they did not ship a card with the motherboard that listed the motherboard's DNS name and the iLO password. I know the password can be temporarily disabled on the motherboard, but I'm not sure about the DNS name. How do I find this?
3 REPLIES 3
Rajeshwari, Hiresave
Trusted Contributor

Re: iLO DNS and Password on new motherboard

1. You should be able to change the password and the DNS name of iLO in the iLO RBSU (Rom based setup utility). You would have to reboot the system and press F8 during the post to enter RBSU.
Please see iLO user's guide for more details on this.

2. If you have Windows / Linux OS running on the system, then you can use HP Online configuration utility (hponcfg) to do the same online without rebooting.
Please see iLO scripting and command line resource guide for more details on this.
Rajeshwari, Hiresave
Trusted Contributor

1. You should be able to change the iLO password and DNS name in the ROM based setup utility (RBSU). This would require a reboot of the server. You would have to press F8 during the post to enter it.
Please see the iLO user's guide for more details.

2. Alternatively, if there is Windows or Linux OS on the system, you can use HP Online configuration command line utility (HPONCFG) to do the same without requiring a reboot.
Please see the iLO scripting and command line resource guide for more details.
acartes
Honored Contributor

>> I'm not sure about the DNS name.
The iLO default DNS name is derived from the system serial number.
a) set the serial number in host RBSU
b) reset iLO to defaults in iLO RBSU
c) the iLO default DNS name will be

iLO

Also set the default administrator password in iLO RBSU. Since the system board was replaced, you may not know what the new default value is unless a sticker/tag shipped with the new board.