1753765 Members
5480 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: iLO network problems

Ted Wood
Occasional Advisor

iLO network problems

Weird problem here. I attach iLO to the network (I tried 4 different ports) and can't get a dhcp address. Even when I configure a static IP, SNM and gateway the iLO will not respond to a ping. The network connections all work with other servers, workstation, etc that use dhcp. Thought it was the iLO itself and had the mainboard replaced, still no go. Any ideas?
4 REPLIES 4
Junior Yharte
Trusted Contributor

This one is odd...try setting the Transceiver Auto select to off and manually selecting the speed and duplex setting in F8 config (Network settings). It might be having trouble sensing the wire speed.
Jeff Allen_5
Valued Contributor

Are you using a Blade server? the Rear iLO ports are disabled when you attach a workstation to the front iLO port on the blade as iLO cannot manage 2 ip addresses at the same time.
John Marinov
Frequent Advisor

Yeah, cable fault. Try replacing the patch cables.

I assume you've flashed the latest bios to it etc?
Ted Wood
Occasional Advisor

We eventually found the problem:

Had our service contractor replace the main board twice and still had the same problem. When I got an old hub out of the drawer and put the iLO on it with a laptop running a dhcp server the iLO got an IP with no problem. Seems that the older Cisco switches we use at this location won't talk to the iLO; it will set up a link, but for some reason the iLO never tells the switch its MAC address...something about the old Ciscos not being strictly IEEE 802.3 compliant. When we shipped the server in question out to the final deployment location (that has newer switches) the iLO worked fine.