1748122 Members
3290 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ILO

Dan DeCoursey
Regular Advisor

ILO

I need to get started using ILO how do I start?
Hers a pinch to grow an inch
8 REPLIES 8
Adrian Clint
Honored Contributor

New server?
Existing server? Can the OS be rebooted?

Do you know how to use the system management homepage?

In future ask questions on the iLO forum
http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/categoryhome.do?categoryId=298
Dan DeCoursey
Regular Advisor

Hi my post and your answer are right here "IT Resource center Forums- ILO"

so I am not sure whyyou to tell me to post in ILO in the future...that is where I am ...
Dan DeCoursey
Regular Advisor

IExisting Win2003 server.....is up and running I just started to explore ILO and what it does.

So far I have got the ILO port up and now the areas on the server home page that deal with ILO are no longer qoange but green as if all is now OK with Managment Processor
Next I needed to figureout how to get into ILO is there a manual or something ? I called HP support and the "offshore" tech told me to use ipaddress:2381 in my browser....this did not work so i just used the ILO IP and that go me in dispite many certificate error messages.

Now I want to explore all the functionallity and I cant even use a remoter console I had to do a JVM install and still no dice everything tells me I am not licensed or that I must have ILO 2Advanced ?? I am not getting very far
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

take a look at http://www.hp.com/go/ilo

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
pratap m keshava
Trusted Contributor

Yes, to use Graphical Remote console you need iLO advanced license. You can obtain a licence key (trial) from the below location. Using Advanced key will enable all the features in iLO.

http://h18013.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/tryinsightcontrol/downloads.html

You can purchase a license from
http://www.hp.com/go/ilo for the particular product.

You can see the text console without advanced license (during system boot or Linux text console).
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

There's quite a few things you can do without the Advanced License.
Power On/Off
Boot up until the screen goes into graphics mode.
You can configure the main ILO features by booting and at the appropriate point enter F8 to enter ILO set up. Add a User name, IP address etc.

Then just browse to the IP Address of the ILO and open up a console.
You'll need Java if you don't use IE as your browser.
Dan DeCoursey
Regular Advisor

Hello thanks for all the help so far ..I ahve downloaded the trial license and got
things going here....
The isuue that has me exploring all this is:
I have a sqlserver that from time to time hoses up.the Windwos server 2003 screen saver will be frozen with no mouse/kybrd access.. the only "consistant thing we have been able to track..is that it seems tobe running the same SQL job at the same time.
so even though there seesm to be no pattern as far as the time or day goes..... we see that its always 10:23pm when entries in the event logs stop....
The only thing we could do ( until now) is press the power button and restart..... so then we will see an itme posted in the event log stating there was an unexpected shutdown at 10:23 pm ....

So I am hoping to be able to access this server via ILO when this problem pops up again and then see if there is anything I can spot in a log that may help explain these sparadic system shutdowns

so with this all said..... do you folks know of a way to "hose up" a win2003 server ( for testing purposes of course on a non production server hehehe ) c'mon you hackers ..pipe up

Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Err nope, but you can power off (both the momentary press and the 10 second press) options are available from the ILO.

That sounds like it's locking up the entire server, not just the screen saver.

I'd check if you have ASR enabled (it can be viewed via the System management Homepage providing you have the HP Agents etc. installed) as that will reboot the server if it thinks it's become corrupted.