Server Management - Remote Server Management
1752777 Members
6199 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Problems with ILO 2 Integrated Remote Concole (IRC)

SecureID

Problems with ILO 2 Integrated Remote Concole (IRC)

Hi All,

I've got the following problem;
When an user wants to start a IRC session from an Ilo v2 he only gets a blank screen with only a grey Close button.
When I make the user member of localadmins or powerusers than the user can use the IRC without any problems.

Since the user can only access the ilo via a citrix server, one might understand that we are reluctant to make the user a poweruser or even worse localadmin.

Can anyone tell me if it is possible for a regular user to use the IRC functionality?
5 REPLIES 5
acartes
Honored Contributor

Re: Problems with ILO 2 Integrated Remote Concole (IRC)

It sounds like you are using the default-schema directory integration for authentication to iLO.

In this case, it may be that the regular users are not allowed access to the IRC. You could check this by examining iLO settings for the the rights associated with the group the user is authenticating from.
SecureID

First, thanx for the reply....

But we only use locally known Ilo users, in other words we do not have directory integration activated.

TimeOut
Occasional Advisor

I ran into this same problem when I was using a "Limited" user account in Windows XP to connect to an iLO2 IRC session.
After few trials and errors, I realized that the issue was related to the lack of priviledges of my user account in Windows XP to install the iLO2 IRC ActiveX component for Internet Explorer.
So, I had to logoff and login as an Administrator in order to install this iLO2 IRC ActiveX component and the problem was solved for good. (BTW, I was using iLO2 v1.29).

Keep in mind that with every new iLO2 firmware version, a new ActiveX component version for IRC is likely to be included so, if you upgrade your iLO2 firmware, you'll have to let all your clients machines update their iLO2 ActiveX IRC component to the new version.

SecureID

Hi TimeOut,

Can you use the iLO2 IRC session as a regular user after installing the ActiveX component as an administrator? If so, did you do any additional configuration?
Because I had installed the ActiveX as an administrator but still I cannot use it as an regular user.

acartes
Honored Contributor

Could depend: IRC is updated in iLO 2 v1.30, so you should install the latest control as Administrator and verify that it works.

However, a non-privileged user account may or may not: Probably it is configured to disallow download of ActiveX controls, but the user account may also not allow them to run. I recommend checking this.