108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: automatic discovery in 6.2

SOLVED
Go to solution
imidge
Advisor

automatic discovery in 6.2

I have a c7000 enclosure with 16 BL460s. In SIM I have "automatically discover a server blade when its Integrated Lights Out management processor is identified" and "Discover systems in an enclosure when Onboard Administrator is discovered". I set off a discovery task just for the IP address of the enclosure OA. I'm interested in what should be discovered and identified.

All blades have Windows 2008 installed and both SNMP and WMI are enabled. The latest management agents are installed.

What I see is that all the management processors of the servers are added with their IP addresses but that the servers are added with only basic information and named by serial number. That is, full discovery of the servers doesn't happen. I was hoping that as the iLO knows the server's name, SIM could take this, lookup the server's IP address via DNS and then do a proper discovery on the server.

Subsequently discovering the servers via a ping sweep collects all the missing information but it would be nice to get it all by just pointing SIM at the OA.

So, the question is: is what I am seeing the way it is supposed to work, or am I missing something that would allow all the servers to be fully identified via the IP address of the OA?
2 REPLIES 2
David Claypool
Honored Contributor
Solution

Yes, it's working the way it was designed. The process that happens when OA or iLO is discovered is that it is able to communicate the presence of the blade, but none of the details. It's intended to create placeholders, typically for undeployed devices. A server won't be a "full citizen" in HP SIM until HP SIM is able to successfully communicate with the device and exchange information about it.
Change_happens
Honored Contributor

what david said is true and yeah SIM doesnt talk to server OS using its iLO but just collects basic information what iLO gives and create place holder so when you discover Server later it will be merged with full information.