1752806 Members
5824 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Couple questions about SIM

Leon(MACH)

Couple questions about SIM

Guys,

I'm trying to use SIM6.2 for my HP servers.But I have below questions about it, it's grateful if anyone can answer me.

1. Should I configure anything on managed servers(all Windows),such as install agent on servers?
2. Will SIM collect events from managed servers and alerts to me?
3. Can SIM provide chart reports?

Many thanks.
1 REPLY 1
fred Passeron
HPE Pro

Re: Couple questions about SIM

Hi

1. Yes : the client needs some agents (SNMP /WBEM based) that are part of PSP (Proliant Support pack.). The psp contains drivers , agents as well some other packages such as the SMH (system mangement homepage : a web based UI centralizing locally on the server the different management tools present on the server : it includes the insight agents (necessary for Hardware managemement (fault and reporting)), the VCA (version control agent : necessary for remote updates of drivers, agents, firmwares..).

2. YES : This is part of the solution architecture : client / server architecture :
A/the SIM server polls the discovered devices on a regular basis to see if they a re still up
B/The device is configured to send alerts to the sim server ( via snmp : snmp trap destination configuration on windows snmp service property page or via wbem : using the HP SIM registration events feature)
Once the device is configured, the cms can also configuerd to react on given alerts : you need to create Actions on events tasks to do so : there , you can setup sim to send you an email when a device is sending a critical alert.

3- Yes since the 6.0 version, some cristal based reports are now available in the report feature.

You would need to take a close look at the HP SIM user guide to find more details on all these features.

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02537452/c02537452.pdf

hope it helps

fred
“Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome.” Isaac Asimov