kenny chia
Regular Advisor

Disk Free Space Warning is lower than Critical threshold

Hi
I have the following
1. Proliant ML370G4
2. HP System Management Homepage v3.0.2.77
3. Windows 2008 R1 SP2 64 bit

I have a strange problem in HPSMH when I am setting the individual disk threshold in Tasks -> System -> System Configuration

This threshold is the % Free Space and I can set Warning and Critical threshold. When I set warning to 60% and Critical to 55% I get the message "Warning values must be less than critical values!".

Logically speaking warning threshold for free space should be higher than critical threshold... no?

All Your Bases Are Belong To Us!
5 REPLIES 5
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Re: Disk Free Space Warning is lower than Critical threshold

No, you want a warning BEFORE something goes critical. In other words, setting a warning threshold of 80% and a critical threshold of 95% means that as it crosses 80% you'll get a 'warning' which implies a certain level of responsiveness--"Oh, it's just a warning; I'll get to it later..." Now as it keeps growing and it rises to 95% you'll get the critical, and you'll say, "Oh, no! Critical! Better get right to it!"
kenny chia
Regular Advisor

Hi David
For free space percentage, lesser percentage means a more critical situation. So critical % should be lesser than warning.

If we are talking about space used, than critical % > warning %
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Yes, these thresholds are based on used capacity. 80% means 20% available, 95% means 5% available.
kenny chia
Regular Advisor

Yeah.. looks like the HPSMH GUI is quite misleading. The threshold is the used value
kenny chia
Regular Advisor

close thread