3289 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

email alerts

Dan DeCoursey
Regular Advisor

email alerts

Hello
is it possible to get notification via email if a managed server goes down ?

thanks
Hers a pinch to grow an inch
5 REPLIES 5
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Re: email alerts

Yes, that's what HPSIM does. A couple of exceptions, if the HP SIM Server or the E-Mail server fail then things go awry!

You'll need to set up an Event Handling task. This can be based on something generic like Critical Alerts or you can go down to the actual Event you want to report on.

Also note, server outages are detected by HPSIM in its hardware polling task. So there can be a delay in how long before it's detected.
Dan DeCoursey
Regular Advisor

Ok, I have verified the hardware polling job is sheduled and is running every 5 min

so what hapends if a server "doesnt not answer the bell?" does that generate an event that then will result in me being sent an email??? )
I have already verified that stuff like "nic cable unplugged" and "redundant power cord unplugged" I am "watching all servers for all events

these events do end up generating a notification email to me ( amazing I got that much set up huh?)

so once again if a server freezes or "goes down" will I get and email ??

thanks
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

server not available is a critical event so if you're auto event handling task is set up for that you will be notified.

fwiw

Dan DeCoursey
Regular Advisor

I really apprecaite all your replies ...thanks
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Yep, just remember the NICs unplugged etc. use a separate process from the unavailable.
Unavailable is done by HP SIM as it polls servers. It generates the Alert.
HW failures are picked up by the agent and an SNMP trap is sent. This is then handled by HP SIM.

Both come together at the event handling process.