1755723 Members
3025 Online
108837 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ESX 3.0 Servers Yellow in Insight Manager

Max Inglis_1
Occasional Contributor

ESX 3.0 Servers Yellow in Insight Manager

Our 7 ESX 3.0.0 servers show up as yellow in Insight Manager, but I can't find anything listed on the SMH to indicate what the problem might be. 4 of them are HP DL585 G1 and 3 are DL585 G2. All have PSP 7.60A installed. Just about everything shows green with the exceptions I list below:

We aren't using iLO, and so have it disabled. Under iLO we show

GREEN Integrated Lights-Out 2
QUESTION MARK Embedded NEC98431
QUESTION MARK Remote Communication Options for Embedded NEC98431

As well processor utilization is gray.

So I'm wondering if anyone knows what might be causing the yellow ! in Insight Manager for these boxes. They are in production, so I can't test easily a solution since our weekly outage window is limited.

Thanks in advance.
Max Inglis.
9 REPLIES 9
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Re: ESX 3.0 Servers Yellow in Insight Manager

yes, but unfortunately the agents are still reporting on the ILO.
I've not done this for a while, so some of the paths etc. may have changed, but here's an extract from how I disabled ILO reporting some time ago for a VMWare ESX 2.5.3 Server.

Edit the file /opt/compaq/cma.conf
Add cpqci into the list of exclusions.
Restart the hpasm Service - /etc/rc.d/init.d/hpasm restart
Max Inglis_1
Occasional Contributor

Rob,

Your suggestion worked - however it wasn't until after a reboot on the test box I was using to test that it showed up as disabled - is there another service I should be restarting as well?
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Not that I'm aware of, just check the server has been polled as the change will not be detected immediately. You can check the tasks to see how often the Hardware status for servers runs.
Max Inglis_1
Occasional Contributor

Well I was refreshing the System Management Homepage to see if the change had taken place, not just watching Insight Manager. I closed and re-opened my browser just to be sure it wasn't being cached, so I'm not sure why this didn't show up.

The good news is it did work, I just have to track down the service that needs restarting.
Max Inglis_1
Occasional Contributor

Strangely, if I remove the cpqci from the exclude section of the cma.conf file, and restart the hpasm service, then the iLO card shows up as orange again, but if I put the cpqci back in after that and restart the hpasm service again, it doesn't disappear. If I then reboot the server again, the iLO section is removed entirely from the management homepage, and its green in SIM.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Sounds like a "feature"!
As I say, it's been a while since I did anything with that and my Linux skills are not the best anyway.
Max Inglis_1
Occasional Contributor

Yeah I'll have to resign myself to fixing it during a reboot. Thanks for your help Rob.
slackersi

Well today i was struggling with exactly the same problem. The solution is:

- add cpqci to the exclude list in /opt/compaq/cma.conf (as it was suggested before by Rob)
- stop the hpasm service
- unload the cpqci kernel module and remove the cpqci device entry under /dev
- start the hpasm service

Hope somebody will find this useful :)

Regards
Ed Grigson

To slackersi, thanks for taking the time to add the info. The thread hadn't been updated for eighteen months, then the morning I'm searching you added just what I needed to know. Fantastic.

Regards,

Ed.