108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: False positives in HP SIM

SOLVED
Go to solution
Simkill
Occasional Advisor

False positives in HP SIM

Hi guys, I'm having trouble with the readout of 3 of my servers. The management processors in HP SIM show there are major errors with the system, but it doesn't tell me what these errors are, and upon logging into the ILO interfaces, the health status is registered as OK. I have a feeling it's actually the SNMP agent reporting that some network cables are not plugged in, but I have disabled all the network cards that are not in use and told the hp homepage to not report the status of the cards. I believe both WBEM and SMNP agents are installed on all 3 machines. I have tried rebooting the machines, resetting the ilo interfaces, cleared all the logs I can find in HP sim to do with them and in the ilo interfaces themselves with no luck. I have also forced HP SIM to check the hardware status again multiple times.

1 server is a DL380 G6 with windows 2008 r2 and the other 2 are DL380 G7 with 2008 R2. Any help or advice would be great! I've attached two pics to help show what I mean (had to use flickr as the pic integration on the forum says access denied! Rubbish! And added them as attachments just in case). This is one of the DL380 G7's. I'm a noob to HP SIM and I don't know what to try next! This is HP SIM 7.0, no hotfixes.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/80419344@N07/7371789260/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/80419344@N07/7371789316/

5 REPLIES 5
ICS
Frequent Advisor

Well in the past SIM 6.3 best practice is not to run both agents on the same box "Managed System". Either SNMP or WBEM but not both. Have you checked for uncleared events on the SIM?
Simkill
Occasional Advisor

Yep, all events are cleared. I even ran the task to clear all events. How can I stop the monitoring of SNMP? I was under the impression if it was being monitored it would show up on the SIM screenie where wbem is listed.

Can I just get away with stopping the SNMP service on the windows boxes and see if that helps? 

ICS
Frequent Advisor

I'm not familiar with SIM 7.0 and it's web agents-"less". In the past you would go into you SMH and check the data source to see what was running. If you want WBEM then check to make sure that is selected or change it to SNMP. You want WBEM so check then go into your "Control Panel" and remove SNMP. I don't know if stopping the service actually works.
Simkill
Occasional Advisor

I am unable to change the datasource to SNMP. The datasource states WBAM and is is in black text that cant be altered or clicked on, so I assume SNMP isn't running (although a service does exist for SNMP Service, which has 4 hp services depending on it). I'm still confused abotu how to go about removing it. What's it usually listed as in programs and features? I have hp management agents but I don't know if that relates to the part thats actually working! SNMP is not listed separately, so the service listed is most likely the SNMP role/feature that's installed on the server rather than anything to do with HP.

Simkill
Occasional Advisor
Solution

Hi again, just a quick update, disabling SNMP passthru on the ILO interfaces appears to have resolved the problem.