Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1755726 Members
2835 Online
108837 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Foundation Agents fails to start, corrupted install. Can't uninstall/reinstall

Per-Emil Gustafsson

Foundation Agents fails to start, corrupted install. Can't uninstall/reinstall

Hello,

I am running Win2k3 on a DL320s and I installed the new Proliant Support Pack(8.10) and everything went fine except the HP Insight Management Agents Install.

The install failed and probably left some traces in the server, since when I try to reinstall the HP Insight Management Agents (8.10) it just says that the Foundation Agents failed to start and the installation cancels.

How do I go about this? There's no entry for HP Management Agents in the add/remove programs, so I can't do a complete uninstall/reinstall that way.

Thank you for your time,
Emil
7 REPLIES 7
Per-Emil Gustafsson

Re: Foundation Agents fails to start, corrupted install. Can't uninstall/reinstall

I checked the C:\windows\system32\cpqmgmt\
and the c:\windows\system32\cpqnimgt\ folders where the Management Agents and the dependencies for the foundation agents are supposed to be and the folders were empty(because of the corrupted installation I assume). I copied the files from a server that had a successful installation to the server with the corrupted installation.

When I run a installation of the HP Insight Management Agents(8.10) I checked if the services start, and all the services (NIC Agents, Storage Agents and Server Agents) except the Foundation Agents services started.

When I tried manually starting the Insight Foundation Agents service I just get the error-message "Error 1067: The process terminated unexpectedly."

The setup prompts an error saying "Service 'HP Insight Foundation Agents' (CqMgHost) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services."

And when the setup cancels due to that error all the dependencies for the HP Insight Foundation Agents including the Foundation Agents itself disappears from the Services list.

Anyone got any ideas on how to fix this?
I attached a picture to clarify some things.
All help appreciated!
Per-Emil Gustafsson

I got a temporary solution ready for people with the same problem:

Let me go over some of the problems from the beginning.
-The HP Management Agents had a corrupted install.
-No entry for the Management Agents in add/remove programs.
-No shortcut to HP Management Agents configuration in the Control Panel.
-The cqmghost.exe/cpqmhost.dll fails to run when trying to reinstall the Management Agents.

This is what I did to get the Management Agents to successfully install:
During the HP Insight Management Agent installation I noticed the Management Agent configuration shortcut appeared in the control panel, so I just opened it and moved the "Host Information"(that uses the faulting module cpqmhost.dll) to Inactive Agents, and clicked OK.
After that the installation went on successfully, this is no long-time fix for people as me who really wish to have a working Host Information Agent, but at least I managed to get a successful install which will allow me to remove the HP Insight Management Agents from the Add/Remove programs and after that do a clean install.

I hope this was helpful to anyone experiencing the same difficulties as me with the HP Insight Management Agents.
Kevin Reisinger

I had this same problem. I did the following to resolve:

Install the Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) via Add/Remove Programs and confirm that "localhost" is added to the SNMP Access Packets Host List.

You should then be able to install the HP Management Agents without any problems.
Maxitaly_1
Advisor

Hi
Same problem installing agents 8.10.
I think that the problem is in a DLL not copied in system32 during installation: cqhstutl.dll (there's another thread in ITRC forum for agents 7.70). If you try to execute manually CqMgHost.exe, a message say that the DLL cqhstutl.dll is not found.

My solution:
- extract the package of the agents
- open the cab and copy the DLL cqhstutl.dll in system32
- install agents

This works for me.
Hope this help.

Max
Oscar_81
Occasional Advisor

I have a similar issue running Proliant DL380 G3, when trying to install Insight Agents I got the error: Product: HP Insight Management Agents -- Error 1920. Service 'CqMgHost' (CqMgHost) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

I tryed some of the tips mentioned here without sucess, any idea what's the issue?
Oscar_81
Occasional Advisor

I had to install version 8.16 in order to solve issue, newer version doesn't work properly, hope that HP make a fix for version 8.22
Carlos Carrillo

Once I add the SNMP feature to Windows Server 2008 R2 works fine.

CharlySpeed