1752564 Members
5011 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP Insight Manager Agents Vmware add users to see website

Richard J Garrow
Occasional Advisor

HP Insight Manager Agents Vmware add users to see website

Running a large amount of servers with ESX 3.5U3 I have installed HP Insight Manager Agents Version 8.10 accross the enterprise. At present we are only able to access the web page via Root access. I need to have other people access this web page, but do not want to give them Root access. I have created a user and put it in the hpsmh group but still unable to access the page. If someone could tell me how to give this user access without giving them root access it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Richard
9 REPLIES 9
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Re: HP Insight Manager Agents Vmware add users to see website

If you are using HPSIM and a Trust has been established then no credentials need to be used at all.
You just click on the HW Icon for the VMware Host and you go directly to the page.

Users will need to accept or install the certificate.
Richard J Garrow
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Bob for your imput. At present we are not running any Cert in the enterprise each time we go to log in we need to enter the user name and PW.

Thanks

Richard
Gerald LaVallee
Frequent Advisor

Try setting the security for SMH to "Trust All" or Trust by Name" if you don't want to use the Certificate option.

I find using the Certificate Option cumbersome; if the CMS server is rebuilt or renamed, getting a new Cert is nearly impossible.
What ever it takes!
Richard J Garrow
Occasional Advisor

Hi Gerald,
Thanks very much for the reply, and I hate to sound dumb on your response:
Try setting the security for SMH to "Trust All" or Trust by Name" if you don't want to use the Certificate option.
Where would I make this change, at the moment the group hpsmh has total rights to the folder. I did put the user I created into this group but it did not help.

Thanks I really appreciate the help Gerald.

Thanks
Rich
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Just to be clear, if you are always logging into the agents directly (e.g. https://clientserver:2381) then you'll always be challenged for credentials.
I'm not aware on any procedures for setting up a new user on the ESX Server and granting that user the correct rights for access to the agent.
It certainly needs something as a normal user doesn't work - my linux skills aren't that hot but you may be able to add it to another group.
But if you use HPSIM as the access point to the agents then the Trust mechanisms are the way to go. HPSIM already has a certificate - it just gets imported into the agent.
It can even be distributed with the agents when they're deployed / updated. Once working it's a very easy mechanism to control access.
Richard J Garrow
Occasional Advisor

Hi Rob,

Thanks once again for the reply. I did finally call HP support yesterday and they told me the same thing that the agent can not be assigned a different user unless I want to open my system to anyone, which I will not do. So my way around it was to create a new user put them in the root group, which gave them access to the web site, but I configured the user so they are not able to log on to the server under any circumstances. It works fine now so I feel a bit better. I would like HP to change there code so it would be possible to assign a different user access to the website with out having to give them root rights.

Rob thanks again for the support much appreciated. I will be closing out this tread now. You can have the points as well.

regards,

Richard
Richard J Garrow
Occasional Advisor

Please read my past comments which will provide a solution to the problem .
Gladiator
Valued Contributor

Hi Richard,

If you want to give user access to SMH web page you can try this out.

Create a new user and a group. Put the new user in this new group.

Add this particular group in the user group page of SMH Setting -> Security -> User Groups where you can assign the group admin rights, Operator rights or user rights.

This will work from SMH point of view.

From HPSIM point of view if you want to acces SMH or SSO(Single sign on) without root privilege add the same user created now in HPSIM.

Now login to HPSIM using this user. SSO SMH from here will give you only operator rights.

regards
Sins
Richard J Garrow
Occasional Advisor

Thanks very much for the feed back Gladiator it was much appreciated I will give it a try...
Rgards,

Rich