1753518 Members
5258 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP SIM and multiple NICs

racerzer0
Occasional Contributor

HP SIM and multiple NICs

I'm running SIM 5.3... and want to add a second NIC for backups. However, when I enable the secondary NIC, I am unable to connect to the SIM web interface from remote desktops. The SIM web interface starts up fine locally. I see nothing in the install guides about how to get the SIM server to respond to HTTPS requests outside itself with the presense of more than 1 NIC.

Any ideas?
5 REPLIES 5
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

I also have a second NIC for backups in my SIM server but do not experience the problem you are having.

However, I had both NICs from the start before installing SIM. Also, my backup NIC is on an isolated network (no default gateway) so perhaps that is why it works for me.

Nelson
racerzer0
Occasional Contributor

Yeah.. my second nic is isolated as well with no gw defined. I tried setting the NIC order so that my frontside NIC is at the top. Also set the NIC binding in IIS to be the frontside NIC instead of all NICs.
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

SIM does not use IIS...so I don't think that would have any affect.

As a thought, maybe check the SMH settings. I think SIM and SMH are sort of related somehow (for example I don't think you can install SIM without SMH). Look at the bindings in SHM and make sure it is set to the primary NIC for the binding.

Nelson
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Is your backup interface somehow registering with DDNS or WINS so that somehow when you do a name resolution, it is resolving to the backup interface NIC - and since you cannot get to it (no default GW for that NIC) it bombs out? Just a thought...

Nelson
racerzer0
Occasional Contributor

I checked SMH.. but don't see where to set bindings. As far as DNS on the 2nd nic.. no dns defined yet... not needed for bur.

I did find reference to binding the IP address in a post for SIM 4.2.. by editing the globalsettings.props file. I did this but it did not change anything.