1752328 Members
5164 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP SIM detected power supply failure but not send out email alert

ehuang
Super Advisor

HP SIM detected power supply failure but not send out email alert

I have HP SIM installed and it does detect my two ESX hosts. However, when I unplugged one power supply, so there is NO power redundancy on one host, HP SIM see it as an "important" event, but doesn't send me email alerts. I got email alerts if the host is totally down. I have set up "automatic event handling" to "all events". Could somebody help?
10 REPLIES 10
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Re: HP SIM detected power supply failure but not send out email alert

You'll need to check that the trapsend option in the /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf file, see extract below;

trapcommunity myROCommunity
trapsink 10.10.10.10 myROCommunity

Outage events are generated from HPSIM polling and not from snmp traps sent by the HP Agents on the ESX Host when they detect an error.
The other thing to ask is - do you have the HP Agents installed on the ESX Host? Check you've got the latest version 8.0.0a agents.
ehuang
Super Advisor

Thanks Rob. Yes, I have HP Agents (8.0.0a) installed on my ESX host, HP SIM does see it. I will play with the SNMP file and let you know what I could get.
ehuang
Super Advisor

Okay, Rob. Here is my problem:
I unplugged one powersupply on one host, HP SIM did see the degration, logged it as an "Important Events". However, it didn't send me an email as an alert. It does send emails for other monitored systems' events. What do you think?
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

At a guess you're picking up major and critical events only for e-mail. An "important" event would slip below that.

If events are turning up in HPSIM, you know the ESX side is working okay.
ehuang
Super Advisor

Rob, I even tried specifying "major" and "critical" events as the triggers, no luck. I was with HP on the phone for the whole morning, one tech from HP SIM and one tech from ESX team, they could not figure out. I was told by the HP SIM tech that my hardware was not tested by HP, which I found it unbelievable. My host is DL360 G5. She said HP only supports ESX3.0 on that hardware. I am speechless.
ehuang
Super Advisor

The most weird thing is: HP SIM see the degration, but just not sending me alerts thru email. So close to get it there!!!
ehuang
Super Advisor

After pulling hair off my head and banging my head to the wall.... I played with snmpd.conf quite a while and got it work, eventually!!! I could go back to HP and tell that tech support HOW.
Baktha

Hi
Same problem i am facing .Can you explain me the work around for this, pls.

Hi ehuang,
please, tell me, how you has played with snpd.conf for geting email notify?

my conf:
get-community-name: public IP: 192.168.2.26
get-community-name: nkdmz IP: 192.168.2.26
trap-dest: 192.168.2.26

Thanks a lot!