5645 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP SIM - server nor recognized as a server

SOLVED
Go to solution
selveste Sigurd

HP SIM - server nor recognized as a server

When in HP SIM (5.3 SP1), I run discovery. A lot of devices are discovered, among them all my HP servers. One server, however, is discovered, but not recognized as a server. When choosing "All servers" it is missing. When choosing "All systems", it shows up with "Unknown" as "System type". The server in question is a DL380G4, with all HP management agents etc. installed. Any ideas?
5 REPLIES 5
fred Passeron
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: HP SIM - server nor recognized as a server

hi

Unknown to HP SIM meqns usually that the devices runs snmp but HP SIM cannot talk to it properly; Most probably, the snmp service is not configured as it should (possible problem being wrong snmp community defined).

Another issue could be a local firewall blocking communications between the server and HP SIM.

You can run a configure and repair agent to fix this issue from the configure menu in HP SIM. Select the server and run the tool.

hope it helps

fred
тАЬLife is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome.тАЭ Isaac Asimov
TarunJain
Respected Contributor

Hi Selveste,
The system type Unknown indicates systems that have no management protocol that HP Systems insight Manager could detect, for example, no SNMP, WBEM, DMI, or SSH.
Kindly run the Software polling for this server and check the log for status of these protocols.

Also find the step by step instructions to configure managed system on following link:
http://www.hp.com/wwsolutions/misc/hpsim-helpfiles/mxhelp/mxportal/en/admin_managedNodeSetup.html

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo
src="/html/assets/hpe_banner_SME_signature.p ng">

Adrian Clint
Honored Contributor

Unknown = I can find some sort of management protocol on it but I cannot identify it or communicate using this protocol.
As mentioned above or usually its an IIS, firewall server or similar that does not have the ports that SIM uses to communicate.

Open up at least ports 2301, 2381 and check that the global or system login credentials are ok.

Unmanaged = I cant find a management protocol on it at all! Could be simialr reasons as above.
selveste Sigurd

Thanks to Fred, I found the solution. It had to do with incorrect setup of the SNMP-service on my servers.
TarunJain
Respected Contributor

Hi Selveste,
Glad you could find someone to help you.
Kindly award points to him

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo
src="/html/assets/hpe_banner_SME_signature.p ng">