1752805 Members
5607 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Managing Storage Devices

Jeff Nyberg_1
Occasional Advisor

Managing Storage Devices

Does anyone have a recommendation on purchasing an MSA unit that SIM can monitor and report on? My understanding is that I'll need Storage Essentials to pull what I want, and that's fine but I can't determine if I can monitor and manage a system like the MSA60 as easily as I can say the MSA1000/1500. I'm hoping to be able to tell if the MSA is powered up and be alerted if it is not, and also know if drivers/firmware are up to date on the unit and the drives, etc. Basically, I want to be able be able to manage a storage device like a server. Thanks in advance for any recommendations.
3 REPLIES 3
RobSmith
Frequent Advisor

You can install the MSA SMI-S provider on any server that has a zoned link to that MSA. Make sure the server is discovered in SIM, and after that, go to the System Protocol Settings for that server, add another discovery port at 5989, using the SMI-S default credentials (its in the documentation)

You can then use SIM to monitor the MSA.

Any questions, feel free to ask. The config is pretty easy once you read through it a few times.
Jeff Nyberg_1
Occasional Advisor

I guess I'm still wondering about the existence of a SMI-S provider for non-fibre connected MSA devices such as the MSA20, MSA30, or MSA60. I see that a fibre connected MSA such as the 1500cs has a SMI-S provider but I'm unable to find anything stating there is such a thing for any of the models I listed above. If you have links to any documentation I'd appreciate the pointer as I've struggled to find anything on HP's site.

Thanks,
Jeff
Abdul Rashid
Frequent Advisor

We have MSA60 and MSA70's in our environment connected via DL580 servers, all our servers are visible in SIM but not the MSA Storage Enclosures. Does anyone know how I can detect the MSA60 and MSA70's in SIM.

I am trying to collect the firmware versions for all the MSa Enclosures.

Thanks