Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1747980 Members
3721 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion

Manual removal of Server Deployment (Altiris)

SOLVED
Go to solution
LGentile
Trusted Contributor

Manual removal of Server Deployment (Altiris)

I've got a strange issue preventing me from upgrading to SIM 7.2. I can't upgrade or remove the Server Deployment module because during one of our database moves, the eXpress database was forgotten.  we never used this feature so I don't care if it's there (plus it is getting replaced in 7.3).

I can't finish the upgrade to 7.2 since the installer wants to talk to the Deployment module.  If i try to run the installer/uninstaller for deployment, it tells me a console is open and will not continue.  I've had a ticket opened with support for 3 MONTHS and I am no closer to figuring this out.

I thought of creating a second SIM instance at 7.1, installing Deployment, then taking the eXpress database and putting it in the same instance as the rest of the SIM databases.  Will that work, or can i at least point deployment to another DB instance?

Worst case, is there a brute force way to 'detatch' Deployment so the universal installer will not think that I have Deployment installed at all?  It's a separate module so there's got to be a way to detach its dependency to SIM/IC.

Help!!

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Re: Manual removal of Server Deployment (Altiris)

Hello,

Did you try an update of HP Insight Control or Insight Manager ? As far as i know the standalone Sim should not be dependant on anything else than the SIM components.

Kind regards,

Andrew

Kind regards,

Andrew
LGentile
Trusted Contributor

Well the problem is that the other modules are selected by default.  I cannot just update the SIM piece, it wants to update all the components (using the universal installer).  

If I knew how to only update SIM, i would.  We honestly do not use any of the IC components at this time.  I have removed the VM module and a few smaller ones to reduce complexity of the system.  The only one i care about at all is the power management module.

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hello again,

The installer for Windows or Linux is downlowdable here : 

http://h18013.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/hpsim/download.html

This is just hpsim, smh, Pegasus wmi, open ssh and the vcrm.

Was this the installer you used?

Kind regards,

Andrew

Kind regards,

Andrew
LGentile
Trusted Contributor

I used the large DVD image - i do not believe it was the version linked there for 7.2.  I am certainly open to trying it.

Thanks

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

I know the dvd you used, that is a total solution as HP likes to call it. SIM is a part of that package. The URL i gave you is only SIM and the essentials needed for SIM.

Kind regards,

Andrew
Kind regards,

Andrew
LGentile
Trusted Contributor

Ok, this may work - now I am getting a message about insufficient DB rights.  The install guide doesn't mention the required access for the DB.  Our DBAs tend to lock down access so I need to know what to request from them.

Do you know?

Thank you

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello.

During setup or update you need sysadmin on the instance after that db owner is enough.

Kind regards,

Andrew
Kind regards,

Andrew
LGentile
Trusted Contributor

Thank you!

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

You're welcome !

Kind regards,

Andrew